Akaroa & Banks Peninsula Wild Penguins Eco-Tour from Christchurch
Full day tour includes fabulous mouth-watering lunch.
Enjoy the fantastic scenery on your journey from Christchurch, across breath-taking scenery of the rugged Banks Peninsula coastline and farmlands. Relish a scrumptious lunch (included), and share the conservation passion of the amazing people at Pohatu penguins.
Experience an incredibly diverse ecologically sensitive landscape
Amongst extensive farm lands, Akaroa’s diverse landscape is a region where conservation areas abound in an area regarded as extremely important for native plants and associated wildlife. In fact, Banks Peninsula has the highest amount of biodiversity than any other part of New Zealand.
Your transportation - safe and luxurious
You will be transported to your destination in the lap of luxury. Our roomy, Mercedes-Benz 519 CDI extra-long wheelbase 4WD turbocharged diesel Sprinter limousine bus features highly advanced technology designed to provide extremely safe, reliable and very comfortable transport in almost all conditions and terrain.
Fun and adventure - something for everyone!
This is not an arduous 4WD experience, however the relatively inaccessible road into Flea bay is quite steep, windy, unsealed and narrow. Whether you are a serious conservationist, or just coming along to sight some wild animals (or mingle amongst more domesticated ones!), you are certain to enjoy the marvellous scenery. There is literally something for everyone and every age.
Pohatu Penguins – out of the ordinary!
Pohatu have been conserving the Little Penguins for over 30 years and have 4 conservation awards for their efforts in penguin conservation, protection and monitoring. Francis and Shireen Helps have worked over the last three decades protecting White-flippered Penguins (Canterbury’s own variant of Australasian Little Penguin) from introduced predators. Importantly, spending time with Pohatu helps the preservation of these beautiful birds for future generations!
Dress for all seasons, and book ahead!
Whilst you will be snug and comfortable inside the bus, venturing outside in the New Zealand weather can be windy and cold at times - even on clear days. So, dress for all seasons. Advance bookings are essential as all there is a busy farm schedule!
It is possible that contact with animals will be offered including feeding, patting and grooming. However, we need to accommodate farm programs, weather conditions and the like – therefore, the nature and form of this activity will vary. Also, please be aware that we cannot guarantee the availability and / or accessibility of baby animals year-round.
Criss-crossing the Canterbury region is an amazing scenic experience and a really great way to see some of the most beautiful scenery in New Zealand. You will also have an up-close view (and maybe hands-on experience!) of the marvellous domesticated animals, and have an opportunity to learn more about conservation – and of course, penguins! An amazing opportunity also to learn about the region and its unique history
- Pick up from major Christchurch central city hotels - or hop on before departure outside Canterbury
- Scrumptious special lunch (catering for most dietary needs notified at time of booking
- Morning and afternoon tea and refreshments
- Nature safari courtesy of the experts at Pohatu penguins
- Binoculars and camouflage gear may also be provided by Pohatu to maximize viewing abilities
- Scenery stops along the way
- Luxury mini-coach travel at its best in a luxury 4WD Mercedes Benz: to and from destination
- Complimentary WIFI and USB connection
- Possibility of live entertainment, e.g. traditional waiata from your hosts - but need encouragement!
It should be borne in mind that the penguins at Flea Bay Akaroa are wild. Nonetheless, you can be virtually guaranteed of seeing penguins between September to mid-February, and a high chance between mid-April and end of June. There is slim or no possibility between mid-February to mid-April, however Maossie Tours runs this day-tour for much of the year (except mid-winter being June – August) since the scenic nature safari remains a very interesting activity even in the “off-season”, i.e. even when penguins are not in the area the safari offers additional sites and wildlife.
- Day 1 : Akaroa & Banks Peninsula Wild Penguins Eco-Tour from ChristchurchEnjoy the luxury and comfort of a top-of the range Mercedes Benz 4x4 bus as you journey from Christchurch proceeding into the rugged splendour of Banks Peninsula, You will really love stopovers at the amazing Maori & Colonial Museum at Okains Bay, and the award winning Barrys Bay Cheese factory. At your final destination, undertake a unique 4WD nature safari in the spectacular, award winning Wild Side Conservation area! Learn about the area’s native flora and fauna and Pohatu’s unique penguin conservation program. Be greeted by the farm’s friendly pet sheep and see wild White-Flippered penguins as Pohatu monitor nesting sites. Fully inclusive price includes pick up from major Christchurch city hotels, special lunch, morning & afternoon tea, nature safari, luxury 4x4 mini-coach travel including onboard WIFI and USB & an entertaining, knowledgeable tour guide.Meals :Lunch
Pick up available from major Christchurch central city hotels - or hop on before departure outside Canterbury Museum, Rolleston Ave Central Christchurch, near the corner of Worcester Blvd. Look for the distinctive Maossie Tours bus (black Mercedes) parked and waiting until the scheduled departure time.