Akaroa, Private Day Tour from Christchurch with 2 hr Wildlife & Dolphin Cruise
Featuring -Christchurch, Seaside Sumner, Lyttelton, Little River, The Bays and Akaroa.
Akaroa is situated 83 km from Christchurch. The French tried to claim it but the British beat them to it. Akaroa is nestled on the eastern edge of two extinct volcanoes. Together these volcanoes make up Banks Peninsula one of the most picturesque areas in New Zealand. This private, very personal tour will go where no bus can go.
You can stop when and where-ever you like, unlike in a bus when you must stop where the company tells you. Your experienced local driver/guide will share the history, drama and beauty of the area where the Maori fought for ownership and Captain Cook made probably the biggest mistake of his life.
A highlight will be the two hour nature and wildlife cruise of the harbour and sea on board 'The Black Cat'
No stress, we drive, you relax & enjoy. Perfect!
**** More than 4 people in your group? Larger groups by arrangement - ask for a quote.****
**** Proud Member: ProGuidesNZ
per adult from
6 to 8 hours
What's included :
- Two hour nature and wildlife cruise on the 'Black Cat'
- Experienced local Kiwi guide 16 years in the business.
- Large modern air conditioned wagon with room for collapsible wheelchairs, pushchairs, walkers etc.
- Complimentary bottled spring water.
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entry/Admission - Black Cat Cruises
- Entry/Admission - Barrys Bay Cheese
What's excluded :
- Minimum 2 adult passengers unless by prior arrangement (email provider)
- Entrance fees other than provided in the Options section.
- Food and drinks, unless specified.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Black Cat Cruises, 63 Beach Road, Akaroa 7520, New Zealand
Nature, dolphins and wildlife at its very best with views to blow you away. The Captain will keep you informed with his interesting commentary. See Akaroa from this unique perspective.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Barrys Bay Cheese, 5807 Christchurch Akaroa Road Barrys Bay, Akaroa 7582 New Zealand
Unique, this small boutique cheese factory is steeped in history. First opened in 1895 you can see into the factory and on productions days…see the cheese being crafted. Lots of free samples and even some of the local wines make this a ‘must do’ stop.
Duration: 20 minutes
Pass By: Lyttelton Time Ball Station, 2 Reserve Terrace, Lyttelton 8082 New Zealand
Like a Scottish castle dominating the scenic port of Lyttelton, the Timeball Station is one of the few of its kind left in the world.
From 1876 to 1934 a ball dropped from its mast on its stone tower, signalling the time to ships in Lyttelton Harbour. Visual time signals were important features of many of the world's ports, being necessary to correct ships' chronometers and ensure accurate navigation. The timeball apparatus came from the well-known German firm Siemens Bros, and the astronomical clock from Edward Dent & Co. of London, who had made the Big Ben clock.
Use of the timeball was discontinued in 1934 when it was replaced by radio signals, though flag signals continued until 1941. The flags, which predated the Timeball Station, were used on the flagstaff nearby to signal to ships and to communicate shipping advice to the town.
A fine example of Victorian technology, the Timeball Station is one of only five in the world known to be still in working order. It is a rare piece of maritime history, fabulously restored and boasting spectacular views over Lyttelton Harbour. Sadly, the building was significantly damaged in the Darfield Earthquake on 4 September 2010, and damaged again in the event of 22 February 2011. The tower has now been faithfully restored. We will visit the Timeball Station.
Stop At: Christchurch, Christchurch, Canterbury Region, South Island
Travellers will be shown downtown Christchurch, ravaged by earthquakes in 2010/2011 and see the result of the $75 billion rebuild. Parks, memorials, parks, old and new architecture, the River Avon. Stunning!!
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
**** More than 4 people in your group? Larger groups by arrangement - ask for a quote.****Ports
- Akaroa Port
- Lyttelton Port
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Dress code is smart casual
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required.
- A maximum of 4 people per booking - Larger groups by arrangement.
- A small amount of walking is involved but is optional in most cases.
- Wheelchairs - passenger must be able to transfer to and from the car and the wheelchair must be of a collapsible type. Check with operator.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.