Akaroa Swim with Dolphins Tour from Christchurch
Explore the coastal town of Akaroa and enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime chance to swim with dolphins on this full day tour from Christchurch. Travel through the breathtaking New Zealand countryside to Akaroa and admire sights of interest such as Governor’s Bay and Lake Ellesmere on route. Cruise into the harbour with your guide and watch the waves for marine life. Strap on your snorkel and flippers and swim with elegant Hector’s dolphins in the wild. Enjoy free time to explore Akaroa, then visit a local cheese factory for a tasting session.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Cheese tasting at Barry's Bay
- Live commentary on board
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Wet suit hire
- Use of Snorkelling equipment
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Following a morning pickup by air-conditioned coach from your Christchurch hotel, head out along the road to Akaroa with your guide to begin your tour. Pass scenic local highlights such as Governor’s Bay, Gebbies Pass, Lake Ellesmere, Lake Forsyth and Little River, and capture the country’s breathtaking beauty on camera.
On arrival at the coastal town of Akaroa, hop aboard your boat with your guide and cruise out into the harbor. Watch the waters and keep an eye out for dolphins, penguins and seals, and enjoy the feel of the wind in your hair as you cruise through the waves. The sea along this part of the coast is teeming with marine life, and sightings of friendly and inquisitive Hector’s dolphins — one of the world’s smallest dolphin species — are common.
When your captain has located a pod, pull on your wetsuit, mask, snorkel and flippers then leap into the water. Enjoy the chance to swim with these rare, endangered animals and marvel at their grace through the waves. The dolphins here are completely wild so touching them is not allowed, but simply ducking down beneath the waves to marvel at these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat is enough to make memories to last a lifetime!
Climb back aboard your boat for the return journey to Akaroa and enjoy free time for lunch (own expense). Soak up the coastal atmosphere and spectacular volcanic views in this charming corner of the New Zealand countryside, and explore the many fine craft shops and old French colonial buildings in the town. Conclude your time in Akaroa with a visit to the cheese factory at Barry's Bay and enjoy a tasting session of some fine New Zealand cheeses.
In the mid-afternoon, hop back aboard your coach for the drive back to your Christchurch hotel, where your tour will come to an end.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be 8 years and over to swim with the Dolphins
- Customers must declare any pre-existing medical conditions. A basic level of fitness is required. Customers will be floating in the water and will be required to swim to and from the boat - distances up to 50 meters (150 feet) at a time.
- Minimum 4 adults required before tour can operate
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- Follow the safety guidelines as issued by the New Zealand Government and maintain good hygiene and social distancing measures. Do not travel if you are experiencing cold or flu symptoms. If the city in which you are departing from is in alert level two, then please wear a facemask for all transport.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.