Bay of Islands Shore Excursion: Puketi Rainforest Guided Walk
See New Zealand's stunning natural beauty on a guided walk through the Puketi Rainforest when your cruise ship docks at Bay of Islands. Take in the scenery as you look for rare bird and plant species, stroll among lofty kauri trees and pass by cascading waterfalls. You’ll enjoy a personalized experience on this rainforest walk led by an expert local guide, with a group limited to eight people.
per adult from
4 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Local guide
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
- Port pickup and drop-off
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Puketi Nature Trail, Puketi Kauri Forest, Kerikeri New Zealand
After pickup from your cruise ship, you'll head to the Puketi forest to start your rainforest adventure. Follow your friendly local guide along well-marked paths as you explore this subtropical forest. You'll learn about the flora and fauna and walk among towering kauri trees. Kauri trees are found only in New Zealand’s North Island and are among the world’s most ancient forests, with ancestors in the Jurassic period.
Your guide will share legends of the Maori people and stories from European colonial history as you stroll by thundering waterfalls and magnificent trees, including two of the largest kauri in New Zealand. Keep an eye out for native birds such as the rare kokako, which was only recently reintroduced to the forest. You'll marvel at the variety of the 370 recorded species of plants – some not found anywhere else in the world!
You’ll witness conservation efforts in the forest, learn the Maori names for some tree species and come to understand the ecology and legends of the kauri tree. Also enjoy a stop for refreshments around the halfway point of your walk.
At the end of the tour, you will be returned to your ship with great memories from this excursion into the lush Puketi forest.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to the Bay of Islands port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Point: Waitangi WharfDirections: The local tour operator, Adventure Puketi will be waiting at the pier holding a sign with your nameDates: DailyReturn point: Returns to original departure point at approximately at 1:15pmPorts
- Waitangi Wharf
Departure Time :9:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Minimum age is 5 years
- A maximum of 8 people per booking
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking (Full day tour if option selected)
- Medium fitness level required on half day walk, higher level of fitness required on full day walk.
- Please bring good walking shoes, sunscreen, hat and day pack.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.