Blue Duck Experience
In 2008 The Blue Duck Project was founded on The Tongariro River by TRR owner Garth and some friends. The aim was to trap pests to protect the Whio (Blue Duck) of which there are only 3000 nationally. This project has been unbelievably successful with duck numbers on the river now reaching to almost 30 pairs. Join us in discovering how the project has achieved the outcomes that it has on this unique rafting trip. Combine the grade 3 whitewater with an Eco experience. These are small personal tours with no more than 10 people per trip
per adult from
4 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Rafting and safety equipment
- Wetsuit, boots, fleece jacket, spray jacket, helmet and gloves when required.
- Professional guide
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Tongariro River, New Zealand
You will start the day by meeting at our rafting base in Turangi, where we will equip you in all the gear necessary to keep you warm before we drive you out to the river. After an on-shore safety briefing you will be on your way, with the first rapid just around the bend.
While you are tackling the heart-pounding roller coaster rapids you will be told all about our Blue Duck Project and hopefully spot some Blue Ducks in real life.
Along the way you will be given the opportunity to go ashore and check the trapping lines. You can do your part for the project and help us check that the automatic traps are all charged with gas and good to go, before heading on downstream to navigate more rapids.
As well as putting in the work $10 per person from these trips is donated directly to The Blue Duck Project Charitable trust. So you can walk away from a great morning out knowing that you have helped out with conservation in New Zealand.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :95 Atirau Road, Turangi 3334, New Zealand
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 10 years
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- All customers will be supplied with a wetsuit that must be worn when rafting
- Most travelers can participate
- We can provide a free shuttle from anywhere between Taupo and National Park
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.