Buried Village of Te Wairoa Tour
Experience New Zealand's most visited archaeological site, and hear stories of the 1886 Mt. Tarawera eruption. This guided tour features a range of historical exhibits nestled in the scenic New Zealand landscape. Visitors can take peaceful walking trails and discover the life stories of the inhabitants whose fates were intertwined with the volcanic eruption. Discover the legacy of the Pink and White Terraces, which were once considered to be the Eighth Wonder of the World.
per adult from
45 to 120 minutes
What's included :
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Local guide
- Entry/Admission - Buried Village of Te Wairoa
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Buried Village of Te Wairoa, 1180 Tarawera Road RD 5 Rotorua, Rotorua 3076 New Zealand
The Buried Village of Te Wairoa, just a 15-minute drive from Rotorua city, offers a firsthand look at one of New Zealand’s greatest natural disasters. Learn about the devastating effects when Mt. Tarawera erupted in 1886, which buried Te Wairoa and ended more than 150 lives. Now, well over a century later, the excavated village provides a unique opportunity to see how the area's Maori inhabitants and early settlers lived.
Guided group tours, audio/video tours, and talks, which are included with your admission ticket, are scheduled throughout the day. Learn about the geological and geothermal features of Lake Tarawera, Mt. Tarawera, and the surrounding lakes region. Find out what happened to the Pink and White Terraces, once a popular natural landmark. Discover how the village of Te Wairoa came to be, the role it played in developing the region, and how its legacy continues to influence New Zealand's tourism industry to this day.
Encounter the world-class Museum of Te Wairoa and its collection of excavated objects. Explore the archaeological site, which reveals the devastation of the eruption, and walk a paved path along the very sites that the people of Te Wairoa once called home. Take the Waterfall Trail to Wairere Falls, which plunges 98 feet (30 meters) to the valley below.
Head to Vi's Teahouse for delicious scones, Devonshire tea, and excellent coffee, or browse the range of gifts in the gift store. Children can search through the excavated sites for clues, or go to the Adventure Playground.
Allow 1–1.5 hours to experience the entire Buried Village.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :1180 Tarawera Road, Lake Tarawera, Rotorua 3076, New Zealand
Departure Time :10/1/2018 - 9/30/2021
Wednesday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 04:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately. Bring walking shoes and protection from adverse weather. The paths are flat and paved but the optional waterfall trail has several flights of stairs.
- Hat, sunscreen, umbrella or raincoat are recommended
- Guided group tours and talks, which are included in admission, are scheduled throughout the day.
- Video tours and self-guided tours are available
- You can arrive at any time throughout the day, and stay for as long you'd like
- Wheelchair available for public use - please inquire at reception
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 150 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.