Cape Palliser Explorer Walking Tour
This action packed day takes you to visit the spectacular Palliser Bay. along the way we walk the Putangirua Pinnacle Track, a unique geological feature and set from the LOTR trilogy, ascend the 242 steps to Cape Palliser Lighthouse and get out in the elements at seal colonies and Lake Ferry.
per adult from
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Local guide
- Round-trip shared transfer
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Departing the conveniently located Wellington I-site at 9:15am or our Martinborough location at 10.30am, we will lead you on an exploration of the Wild Palliser Coast Coast only a stones throw from Wellington.
Top guides take you directly to the Putangirua Pinnacles, a dramatic geological feature known as "Hoodoo's" which were featured in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy as Paths of the Dead. This is a challenging walk which can be uneven and slippery and involves lots of steps to climb, with a very rewarding view.
Your guide will tell you about the unique geology of this area and provide insight to the history (European and pre-European) of this remarkable landscape.
We carry a picnic lunch with us to enjoy along the way, all dietary needs can be catered for,
As we continue in the minivan to Cape Palliser we pass Ngawi Village, where fishing boats are launched from the beach into the, at times, unforgiving Cook Strait. We pass one of the regions largest Seal Colonies and stop to enjoy watching these curious creatures frolicking in the waves before continuing to Cape Palliser itself and ascending the steps to the lighthouse.
On our way back to Martinborough we may have time to stop in a historic Lake ferry before dropping guests at their Martinborough Hotels and continuing into Wellington. Our shuttle departs from Martinborough to Wellington at 17:45pm.
Inclusions: Picnic packed lunch, Water, Juice, guide, walking poles.
Tips & What to bring: Wear sturdy walking shoes, the track can be wet, uneven and slippery. Bring a wind/rain proof jacket and dress appropriately for the time of year.
Departure Point :Central Wellington & Central Martinborough
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.