Cave Stream & Castle Hill/Kura Tawhiti guided tour from Christchurch
Morning - Castle Hill/Kura Tawhiti
Castle Hill/Kura Tawhiti is an amazing labyrinth of giant limestone boulders. The area is rich with cultural and recreational significance and has been granted Tōpuni status “A symbolic cloak of protection”.
Your guide will show you around, if you like you can have a go at bouldering and test your climbing skills, or use your time here to explore the endless maze of boulders. We stop here for lunch at Castle Hill.
Afternoon - Cave Stream
It will take us approximately 45mins to make our way through the 594 meters of the limestone cave. Our route follows the crystal-clear water through the winding chambers and small waterfalls.
Not interested in caving? Nom problem your welcome to explore the paths and trails in the area or sit and relax with some afternoon tea in this very peaceful landscape instead of going through the cave.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Use of caving equeptment including head torch, helmet and safety belt
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Private transportation
What's excluded :
- Morning Tea (we will stop at Darfield Bakery on the way so you can purchace morning tea if you like)
We start our adventure by travelling west towards the mountains across the flat farmland of the Canterbury Plains. We make a stop after 45mins at the “Darfield Bakery” (We will provide lunch, but you might like to sample a classic Kiwi pie or coffee) before continuing our journey to Castle Hill/Kura Tawhiti.
Your guide will show you around if you like you can have a go at bouldering and test your climbing skills, or use your time here to explore the endless maze of boulders. We stop here for lunch at Castle Hill.
We will meet back at the carpark at 1:00 pm and make our way to Cave Stream, just 10 mins drive from Castle Hill/Kura Tawhiti. It will take us approximately 45mins to make our way through the 594 meters of the limestone cave. Our route follows the crystal-clear water up-stream, through the winding chambers and small waterfalls. The final section has a 3-meter fixed ladder to climb past the most significant waterfall as we exit the cave.
After some afternoon tea and a hot drink, it’s time to head back to Christchurch. The return journey takes approx 90mins.
• Castle Hill, Castle Hill, Canterbury Region, South Island
• Cave Stream Scenic Reserve, State Highway 73, Castle Hill New Zealand
• Kura Tawhiti Conservation Area, Castle Hill, 7580 New Zealand
• Darfield, Darfield, Canterbury Region, South Island
• Springfield, Springfield, Canterbury Region, South Island
Departure Point :Princess Margaret Hospital, Canterbury 8022, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
City centre pick-up point - Canterbury Museum on Rolleston Ave, in the city centre at 8:30 am.Airport Pick-up -From "the loop" pick-up/drop-off area at 9 am.Airports
- Christchurch Intl Airport, Christchurch New Zealand
- The Lyttelton Harbour Information Centre, 20 Oxford Street, Lyttelton 8082, New Zealand
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.