Christchurch Botanic Gardens Tour with Optional Hop-On Hop-Off Tram Gondola and Avon River Punting
Explore the Christchurch Botanic Gardens on a narrated tour aboard an open-air electric shuttle that provides unobstructed views of the Gardens' variety of flowers and other plants. If you wish, you can see even more of Christchurch with optional upgrades that include the hop-on hop-off Christchurch Tram tour through downtown, a Punt cruise on the Avon River and a ride on the Christchurch Gondola. Choose the combination that interests you most, and enjoy various perspectives on the city's renewal since devastating earthquakes struck in 2010 and 2011.
per adult from
What's included :
- Christchurch Botanic Gardens caterpillar tour
- Avon River punt ride (if option selected at time of booking)
- Round-trip Christchurch Gondola ride (if option selected at time of booking)
- Entry/Admission - Christchurch Botanic Gardens
What's excluded :
- Transport to/from the attractions
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- When you arrive at the Christchurch Botanic Gardens, hop aboard an eco-friendly electric-powered caterpillar vehicle for your tour through the gardens, an oasis of exotic and indigenous plants located on a 52-acre (21-hectare) preserve in the heart of the city, between Hagley Park and the Avon River.
While you ride, listen to entertaining commentary from the onboard guide, and hear fun facts like which trees make the best bows and arrows. The full tour of the gardens takes about one hour, with frequent stops along the way. Disembark at any point to take a closer look at specific areas, such as tropical plants in glass conservatories, 250 different types of roses in two rose gardens, or herbs with culinary and medicinal value.
Reopened after the city's last earthquake, the revamped Visitor Centre houses a cafe, gift shop and interactive exhibit about the history of plants and gardening in New Zealand. Check out photos of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, who visited for the center’s ribbon-cutting ceremony in April 2014.
Upon booking, you will be able to choose the option to access to the elegantly restored Christchurch Tram, a heritage vehicle and hop-on hop-off tour that travels between 17 destinations in central Christchurch, including Cathedral Square, Avon River, Hagley Park, Canterbury Museum, Re:START Mall and New Regent Street. A knowledgeable driver provides commentary about the city’s history and landmarks during the ride. Hop on and off the tram at any of the 17 stops; your ticket is valid for the entire day and you can disembark as many times as you like. The entire circuit without hopping off takes about 50 minutes.
When booking, you have four tour options, which are detailed in the Itinerary below.
• Cathedral Junction
• Cathedral Square
• Mill Island
• Re:START Mall
• The Crossing
• Manchester Street
• High Street
• City Punting
• Art Gallery
• Worcester Boulevard
• Museum and Botanic Gardens
• Hagley Park Corner
• Cramner Square
• Victoria Square
• New Regent Street
Departure Point :Canterbury Museum (Christchurch), Christchurch Central City, Christchurch 8013, New Zealand
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please dress warmly and wear comfortable shoes
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Upgrade to the Gardens and Tram combo to include Punting and Gondola and receive included transport to and from the Gondola on-board the Gondola shuttle
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.