Doubtful Sound Overnight Kayak Adventure
Experience a personal adventure; sea kayaking + camping in a remote environment that epitomises what Fiordland is all about – tranquil beauty, sounds of silence, towering cliffs, waterfalls + lush rain forest. Penguins, seals + dolphins are also sometimes encountered. On arrival to Doubtful Sound, travellers change into paddling gear, pack their kayaks and are given a full safety briefing from their experienced guide. The group will spend five hours kayaking in Doubtful Sound alongside the massive glacial landscape and mountainsides. On arrival at the camp site, tents are set up by travellers and as evening falls the group enjoys the company of fellow paddlers as they prepare their meal and enjoy their surroundings before a nights sleep in the pristine native rainforest. On day 2, travellers kayak out of Hall Arm and then to Malaspina Reach and Elizabeth Island before returning early afternoon to Deep Cov. The final leg is the journey back across Wilmot Pass and Lake Manapouri.
per adult from
What's included :
- Includes cruise across beautiful Lake Manapouri and coach over Wilmot Pass
- Small groups – maximum of 8 people per guide
- High quality sea kayaking and camping gear (including tent to sleep in)
- Experienced kayak guides who provide helpful paddling instruction
- Full safety briefing
- Cooking equipment
What's excluded :
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner is not included (must bring your own)
This two day adventure connects you with nature in the spectacular wilderness of Doubtful Sound. There is no TV, no phones and no internet. Just you, your small group and your kayaks.
Your itinerary is flexible and route dictated by the weather and your desire to explore. With around 5 hours of kayaking each day, you’ll get to truly appreciate the expanse and primordial beauty of the fiord. The experienced and knowledgeable guides at Go Orange will make sure you see the best of Fiordland.
As you explore the untouched wilderness of Doubtful Sound, its hidden waterways and secluded islands, look out for the locals – seals, dolphins and penguins. If you’re lucky, you might even find yourself paddling in the company of dolphins!
In the evening you’ll camp amidst the forest next to a fresh water stream in Hall Arm. Relax along the shore as the long southern twilight descends in the fiord. Bring your own food – we’ll supply hot drinks and swap stories with your fellow travellers. And as night descends, lie on the beach and spend some time star gazing.
The next morning, you’ll explore more of the fiord before heading back under sail (weather permitting) by early afternoon.
• Doubtful Sound, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park New Zealand
• Lake Manapouri, New Zealand
Departure Point :Pearl Harbour Manapouri Boat ramp, 60 Waiau Street, Manapouri 9679, New Zealand
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Bring a Sleeping Bag
- Bring your own Food
- Bring a change of warm clothes
- Please visit our website for a full list of what to bring
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.