Dunedin Shore Excursion: Taieri Gorge Railway and City Sightseeing Guided Tour
When your cruise ship docks in Dunedin, take a trip through the spectacular scenery surrounding the Taieri River on board the Taieri Gorge Railway. Travel through tunnels and over viaducts on this train-lover’s shore excursion, and then see Dunedin’s top sights before returning to the Dunedin port.
per adult from
7 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Round-trip tour on the Taieri Gorge Railway
- Dunedin city sightseeing tour
- Professional guide
- Worry-free Shore Excursion Guarantee
- Port pick-up and drop-off
- Entry/Admission - Taieri Gorge Railway
- Entry/Admission - Otago Peninsula
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Port Chalmers Wharf, 19 Beach Street, Port Chalmers 9023, New Zealand
At 9.00am (depending on the cruise ship’s arrival/departure times), the coach departs the Dunedin Port and takes you to the Dunedin Railway Station.
Stop At: Taieri Gorge Railway, Anzac Square, Dunedin 9054 New Zealand
At 9.30am, depart Dunedin by train on the Taieri Gorge Railway. You will travel through the spectacular Taieri Gorge to Pukerangi, across wrought iron viaducts and through tunnels carved by hand more than 100 years ago. This is one of the great train journeys of a bygone era. Throughout this round trip journey, there will be numerous stops to afford you some magnificent photo opportunities.
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: Otago Peninsula, Dunedin New Zealand
At 2.00pm, following the Taieri Gorge Rail Journey, you will rejoin the coach and set off on a full-commentary coach tour of Dunedin City.
Duration: 2 hours
Pass By: Baldwin Street: The Steepest Street in the World, Baldwin Street, Dunedin 9010 New Zealand
Take in the ‘dress circle’ of Dunedin’s original homes of the wealthy settlers and travel up the world’s steepest street to a lookout overlooking the city, University campus and out to the Peninsula high road for some spectacular harbour, rural and ocean views.
Pass By: University of Otago, 362 Leith Street, Dunedin 9016 New Zealand
See some great views of the New Zealand famous and historic Otago University..
Pass By: Dunedin Botanic Garden, Corner of Great King Street and Opoho Road, Dunedin New Zealand
Check out New Zealand’s first botanical garden.
Pass By: St Clair Beach, Dunedin 9012 New Zealand
Lastly, see the St Clair beach esplanade before returning back to your ship between 4:00 pm-4:30 pm.
Departure Point :Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Should your cruise ship timetable be indicating that you will be berthing in Dunedin (Port Chalmers) at 9.00am or later, this does not preclude you from booking these tour options. The timetable will simply be altered to align with the cruise ships arrival time
- If for any reason we are unable to get you to the Dunedin Railway Station prior to the departure of the Taieri Gorge Train then the tour will be adjusted whereby you will travel by coach by road to meet the train and return to Dunedin by train
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- Follow the safety guidelines as issued by the New Zealand Government and maintain good hygiene and social distancing measures. Do not travel if you are experiencing cold or flu symptoms. If the city in which you are departing from is in alert level two, then please wear a facemask for all transport.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.