Eco tour to Muriwai Beach & Gannet Colony including transport from Auckland
Muriwai Beach is famous for its sparkling black sand, surf and Gannet Colony. Auckland and Beyond Tours will start your tour by picking you up from Auckland CBD at your accommodation. Enjoy a scenic drive through the Waitakere Ranges and stop at a beautiful spot that looks out over Muriwai for the perfect photo opportunity.
Once at Muriwai we will take you to have a closer look at the gannets (easy walking) then along the beach and the cove. You will have approximately an hour to relax, swim and explore the beach.
It just keeps getting better, from there we will take you for wine tasting at one of the areas oldest wineries to taste test before returning to Auckland.
Morning Tour: 9:00 AM
Sunset Tour: 3:00 PM
(timing is flexible)
per adult from
5 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Port or hotel pickup and drop-off
- Professional guide
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Auckland & Beyond Tours, Auckland Central, Auckland New Zealand
Meet Auckland and Beyond Tours in Auckland CBD to begin your tour
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Muriwai Beach, Muriwai Beach, North Island
Discover one of New Zealand's famous black sand beaches on the west coast. Muriwai is an impressive coastline with cliff-top trails to a huge gannet colony, with easy access and viewing platforms that let you get up close.
A windswept rugged coastline stretching 60 kilometres, and interrupted only by streams and rivers, makes Muriwai one of New Zealand's most spectacular black-sand surf beaches.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Muriwai Gannet Colony, 428 Motutara Rd Waitakere, Muriwai Beach, Auckland 0881 New Zealand
Muriwai's gannet colony is a one hour drive from the centre of Auckland. About 1,200 pairs of gannets nest here from August to March each year.
The nests are just centimetres apart. It's an air traffic controller's nightmare, but somehow the birds have it under control. Those coming in to land must glide over the squawking raised beaks of their neighbours - so getting it wrong can be painful. These two-and-a-half kilogram birds have a wingspan of two metres, and their mastery of the onshore updrafts is impressive to say the least.
Once airborne, the young gannets leave the colony and cross the Tasman Sea to Australia. A few years later, surviving birds return to secure a nest site at the colony.
The views from the colony are very impressive. Muriwai Beach extends 60 kilometres to the north - a line of black sand between the thundering surf and the sand hills. Far below, enthusiastic surfers look like seals on the large ocean swells.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offeredAirports
- Auckland Intl Airport, Auckland Central, Auckland New Zealand
- Level 1, Ports of Auckland Building/1 Sunderland St, Parnell, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking (Depends on availability)
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 19 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.