Flexible bus transport
Travel on our comfortable private buses and hop-on hop-off anywhere along the route.
Far more than just a driver, Stray Driver Guides are invaluable sources of local knowledge and support.
Have a bed reserved for you at every Stray overnight stop. Book and pay via our Stray Mate app.
12 month travel pass
Your pass is valid for 12 months from the first day of travel.
- Paihia: You dolphin-ately don't want to skip this epic destination! Paihia is a mecca for marine life and adventure activities, also known as the gateway to the stunning Bay of Islands.
- Cape Reinga: Seas the day! Watch as the Pacific Ocean meets the Tasman Sea at the northernmost point of New Zealand.
- Walk the sandy shores of 90 Mile Beach and go sand-boarding down its giant sand dunes!
- Reserved Accommodation (Dorm)
- Experienced Driver Guide
- Bus Transport
- Day 1 : Auckland to PaihiaHaere mai (welcome)! Your Stray adventure kicks off in New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland. We depart northbound for the relaxed seaside town of Paihia, gateway to the beautiful Bay of Islands. We stop en-route at the Parry Kauri Forest Park to view some of the world’s mightiest trees, the native kauri, before cruising up to Paihia for a relaxing afternoon in the stunning Bay. Accommodation: Hostel along from the beach Optional paid activities: Catch the ferry to historic Russell (NZ’s former capital), skydiving, kayaking, BBQ dinner at the accommodation Free activities: Visit the huge kauri trees at Parry Kauri ForestMeals :NoneDay 2 : Paihia to Cape Reinga to PaihiaGear up for a big day, departing early to make the trip to the top of the country. Don’t forget to pack lunch, water and snacks to keep you going. Travelling on a custom-built coach you'll drive up 90 Mile Beach to Te Paki Stream, where you'll learn the art of sand surfing on some of the biggest sand dunes in New Zealand. Our destination is Cape Reinga, where the Tasman and Pacific Oceans clash at the northernmost point of the country. The trip home includes a stopover at Mangonui for classic Kiwi fish 'n chips (pay on the day), before returning to Paihia in the evening. NB. This day trip is operated by a local partner. Ensure you book either with your Driver or in Stray Mate before 11am the day before to secure your seat. Accommodation: Hostel along from the beach Optional paid activities: Traditional Kiwi fish and chips option for dinner Free activities: Dune surfingMeals :NoneDay 3 : Paihia to AucklandEnjoy a sleep in and spend the morning at your leisure. There’s time to do the fantastic half-day Hole in the Rock cruise around the Bay in the morning or take this opportunity to squeeze in another optional activity before we jump back on board the Stray bus mid-afternoon. Destined for the bright lights of Auckland, there are plenty of exciting things to see and do if you have a free day or two. We hope you had a blast on your Stray adventure! Optional paid activities: Hole in the Rock cruise, skydiving; Auckland: skydiving, bungy off the bridge, walk around or jump off the top of the Sky Tower, whale and dolphin safari Free activities: Walk around Paihia, go for a swim or relax on the beachMeals :None
Departs Auckland Northbound from 7:30am