Footwhistle Glowworm Cave
Footwhistle Glowworm Cave is nestled amongst native forest in the Waitomo region. Our guided tours allow you to enjoy a guided walk through beautiful displays of glowworms and cave formations. We allow you to bring your own camera to capture your memories and we take small groups of only 11 people at one time.
per adult from
1 hour 15 minutes
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Local guide
- Coffee and/or Tea - You also get to try our local NZ Tea KawaKawa at the end of your cave tour!
- Entry/Admission - Footwhistle Glowworm Cave
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Footwhistle Glowworm Cave, 23 Waitomo Village Road Cnr of Access Road and Waitomo Village Road, Waitomo Caves New Zealand
Meet your guide and small group at the CaveWorld office, then hop in a shuttle for a 5-minute ride to the cave. Disembark and follow your guide on a short walk through New Zealand’s lush forest where you can glimpse native birds, ferns and a large waterfall that feeds a stream that runs into the cave.
Pause at the entrance while your eyes adjust to the dim light and listen as your guide shares the history of Footwhistle cave, known to local Maori as Te Anaroa cave. Once you’re ready, enter the candle-lit cavern.
Marvel at the soft pinpoints of light that come from the glowworms surrounding you. Your guide can help you get great photos in the dim cavern. Continue further into the cave on a side passage where you will see ancient bones from a moa, a large emu-like bird that went extinct about 600 years ago.
As you slowly walk through the cave system, note its otherworldly setting of sparkly stalactite and stalagmite formations, twinkling bugs, and a bubbling stream that runs through the cave.
When you reach the largest cavern, take a seat as your guide demonstrates how the first cave tours were conducted more than 100 years ago. Your guide lights a magnesium torch that flares brightly for a moment, revealing sculptural rock formations and a dome-shaped ceiling. As the torch fades, your guide turns on the lights and gives you time to look around the magnificent space.
Make your way back to the cave entrance after about 30 minutes and return by shuttle to the office where your tour ends.
Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
Departure Point :Caveworld Glowworm Cave Tours, 23 Waitomo Village Road, Waitomo 3977, New Zealand
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Walking Shoes
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Warm clothing
- Camera or Video
- NO infants 0-4 years old permitted on tour
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not reccommended for those who with hip or knee problems
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.