Full-Day Wild West Coast Photo and Discovery Tour including Lunch from Auckland
Explore Auckland's West Coast with a one day Auckland tour designed for photographers and nature lovers. Only 40 minutes from Auckland CBD lies another world of ancient rainforest and black sand beaches. We see famous beaches like Piha and Karekare and walk through pristine rainforest with massive Kauri trees over 1000 years old. Your guides are professional photographers with an interest in the local history and ecology of the area so your day will be full of interesting facts and their photographic advice is free.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Live commentary on board
- Professional photographer guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Air-conditioned vehicle
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- The day starts at 9am with a free pickup from your central city accommodation . We head out approximately 40minutes from the ctiy towards the West Coast . Situated at the foothills of the Waitakere Ranges we drive through Titirangi, an area rich in culture and with many galleries and outdoor Cafes it is a favorite spot for artists of many kinds.
We then head up the aptly named Scenic Drive where our first stop is the Arataki Visitor Center. Perched high on the ridge there are some amazing views of both coasts from the lookouts. Inside there are many interactive displays showcasing animals, plant life and early settlers lives in the ranges.
From here we head out to see a pristine area of native rainforest with many trees over 1000 years old. We also walk through the bush which is a relatively flat 1.5 km loop. If you would rather you can just do a section of the walk.
After some morning tea we head over to see two of our more famous west coast beaches Piha and Karekare. Although right next to each other on the Coast they are worlds apart in nature and ambience. Piha has the epic views , the iconic Lion Rock and is famous for its surf , many people call Piha home. Karekare by contrast has a different character, it is more brooding and isolated in nature and very few people live there.
We walk on both beaches as well as seeing some beautiful waterfalls and walking through some enchanting Pohutakawa glades.
Karekare is also the site of our barbecue and while the barbecue is cooking some people stroll along the beach while others are happy to sit and relax by the river, the choice is yours.
Feeling refreshed and invigorated from your day in the fresh air we drop you back at your central city accommodation around 4.30-5.00pm.
Departure Point :Auckland Central, Auckland Central, North Island
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.