Great Lake Taupo Mountain Bike and Kayak Package
Maori Rock Carvings Package
Our Great Lake Taupo Mountain Bike and Kayak Package is without a doubt the best way to experience the spectacular scenery by bike from the Great Lake Trail, and view the amazing Maori Rock Carvings at Mine Bay by water. You will meet us at our base in Acacia Bay, where we will load your bike then set off by road to Kinloch to ride the W2K (Kinloch to Whakaipo Bay) section of the Great Lake Trail. Your ride will take approximately 2 - 2.5 hours, ending at the beautiful Whakaipo Bay where you gourmet lunch awaits you. After lunch, you will head down to the crystal clear waters of Lake Taupo to begin your kayak trip to the famous Maori Rock Carvings at Mine Bay. Allow up to 8 hours for this trip.
per adult from
What's included :
- Guide / Full instruction
- Top quality kayaking equipment
- Mountain bike and helmet
- Gourmet lunch and refreshments
- Transport to and from tracks – from our base
- Note: Please refer to our Gear list tab on our website of what’s you need to bring and wear.
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Pickup from hotel can be arranged.
- We will shuttle you and your bikes from our Taupo Kayaking Adventures base in Acacia Bay to Kinloch, where the W2K section (Kinloch to Whakaipo Bay) of the Great Lake Trail begins. Follow the markers along the marina waterfront and then up a gully to Boojum Dell. The mountain biking trail climbs steadily up through native bush and onto the headland, providing great views across the lake and back down into Kinloch. At the junction of the Headland Loop there is a toilet and a map.
From here you continue to ride down the undulating pumice trail through native bush towards Whakaipo Bay. There was no major importing of gravel onto this track, the surface is just the way a real mountain bike track should be. Looping around some contours on the hillsides there are excellent views of Lake Taupo and the Tongariro National Park to the south. Along the Great Lake Trail, listen for native birds and wind in the bushes at one of the nice viewpoints. There are some great fast flowing sections on this part of the trail.
At the end of the track you will ride through farmlands, past paddocks of sheep and down towards Whakaipo Bay which is one of the last untouched reserves left on the shores of Lake Taupo. This place is so rustic and raw, you will be speechless.
It is here at Whakaipo Bay where your gourmet lunch will await you, either on the shores of the lake or amongst the rustic land. After lunch your guide will equip you with your kayaking equipment so we can set off on our kayaking leg. A leisure kayak will bring you towards the historic Maori Rock Carvings at Mine Bay. Your guide will explain the Carving’s cultural significance to the lake and surrounding areas as you admire and float beneath them. On your journey back to base you will be paddling over crystal clear waters below native bush, past steep cliffs and mini inlets.
This trip can be run in the opposite direction as well, starting with the kayaking leg first.
• Guide / Full instruction
• Top quality kayaking equipment
• Mountain bike and helmet
• Gourmet lunch and refreshments
• Transport to and from tracks – from our base
• Note: Please refer to our Gear list tab on our website of what’s you need to bring and wear.Time
• 9.00am, allow 8 hours (6 hours riding / paddling time)Price
• Min 2 persons at NZD $360.00ppBase – Meeting Point / Starting Location:
• Unit 2, 876 Acacia Bay Road, Acacia Bay, Taupo
Departure Point :Taupo Kayaking Adventures base
Departure Time :9.00am, allow 8 hours (6 hours riding / paddling time)
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Min age is 10 unless they have prior mountain biking experience.
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.