Greenstone Tour on the Saced Arahura River
Our Maori guides will share ancient legends and help you find New Zealand's most coveted treasure, Greenstone, on a guided walk along the sacred Arahura river.
Your local guides have a unique connection to the Arahura river known as one of the richest sources of Pounamu and the local area that goes back many generations, and enjoy sharing their knowledge and love of Te tai o Poutini (West Coast) and the Arahura river.
You will be able to find small pieces of Pounamu (greenstone) on our 2-hour tour, and learn to carve this precious stone into a taonga (treasure) to cherish forever.
Our Arahura Greenstone tours operate all year round, weather permitting.
per adult from
What's included :
- Afternoon tea
What's excluded :
- Transportation to/from attractions
- You will begin at Arahura Bridge Heritage Park. From there you will be guided through the Arahura Pa (Tribal Village) and then on a journey along the Arahura river, while learning the history of the Kati Waewae Hapu.
Our guides will:
• share their local knowledge with you, which includes the history of the region and the Arahura river
• on the tour you will hear the beautiful bird song of the native birds that live near the river and the guides will explain what bird was singing or calling
• give you the opportunity to soak your feet in a river that is free from contaminants and the impact of modern man
• show you how to identify greenstone in its natural environment
• reveal the legends of the Arahura river greenstone that are sacred to the Kati Waewae Hapu
• finally, on the piece of stone that you have found, you have an opportunity to make a necklace so you have a keepsake of your tour that you can keep close to your heart.Refreshments will be provided at the end of the tour.
Our guided tours are an easy walk over flat ground and river stones, but please be prepared to get your feet wet; however, this is all part of your Greenstone Tour Experience.
What to bring:
• warm clothing
• sensible footwear
• a smile!
Departure Point :7kms North of Hokitika on the West Coast of the South Island
Departure Time :All tour times are approximate and subject to change due to weather conditions and tides.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- A maximum of 15 people per booking
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.