Hobbiton Movie Set & Glow-Worm Cave Tour from Auckland (Return Trip)
Cross off two North Island highlights in one day—no rental car needed!
Lord of the Rings fans will love the official 'Hobbiton Movie Set Tour.'
Learn about native New Zealand history and culture from a Maori guide
Hassle-free round-trip travel from Downtown Auckland Hotels
Small Group Tour limited to a maximum of 9 passengers
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Small-group tour (maximum of 9)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from downtown Auckland City
- Entry/Admission - Hobbiton Movie Set with 2 hour guided tour
- Entry/Admission - Nikau Glowworm Caves and Tour
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Local driver/guide
- Entry/Admission - Hobbiton Movie Set
- Entry/Admission - Hamilton Gardens
- Entry/Admission - Nikau Cave
What's excluded :
- Gratuities optional
Stop At: Hobbiton Movie Set, 501 Buckland Road Matamata, Hinuera 3472 New Zealand
Begin your memorable day with a pickup at your hotel in Auckland’s Central Business District, and head south over the Bombay Hills and across the Hauraki Plains where you will enjoy stunning scenery and great photo opportunities before we arrive at the Alexander family sheep farm and Shire's Rest (the entrance to Hobbiton). Here you can see thousands of sheep, grab a bite to eat, get your coffee fix or enjoy an ice cream while we collect your tickets to the movie set.
On a 2-hour guided tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set, see recognizable scenery created for the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit films and learn the secrets and stories behind the creation of Middle-Earth. Take in stellar views of the Kaimai Ranges as you visit meticulously crafted sets including Hobbit Holes, the Mill, and the Green Dragon Inn, where you can even enjoy a specially brewed drink fit for a Baggins.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Hamilton Gardens, Hungerford Crescent Cobham Drive, Hamilton 3216 New Zealand
Hamilton Gardens is a magical destination at any time of the year. Around every corner there is a surprise, it explores the relationships between people and plants, telling the story of gardens through different civilisations, in five garden collections that are spread over 58 hectares.
Hamilton Gardens is home to Te Parapara - New Zealand's first traditional Maori garden. It showcases traditional practices, materials and ceremonies relating to food production and storage, drawn from the knowledge of local Maori which has been passed down the generations.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Nikau Cave, Waikaretu Valley Rd Waikaretu, Waikato, Waikaretu, Auckland New Zealand
Next, embark on a 1.5 hour glow-worm adventure, where thousands of tiny worms illuminate caverns thanks to natural phosphorescent properties. The glow-worms and their dewy threads may be studied up close. In the big, cathedral-like cavern where they resemble the night sky.
The walk to and from the glow-worm cave is through a working farm and beautiful native rainforest with wide views and a glimpse of the sea.
Watch the mesmerizing natural light show while gliding through the cave on a boat, and learn about the area’s natural and cultural history from a guide — likely a descendent of the Maori chief who originally discovered the caves. You’ll also explore by foot Cathedral Cove, known for it's impressive acoustics.
Duration: 2 hours
Pass By: Queen Street, Auckland Central, Auckland New Zealand
On the return drive to Auckland, travel through some of the North Island’s most beautiful countryside, following the Waikato River (New Zealand’s longest), and passing both the Maori king’s home at Ngaruawahia and Taupiri, - site of a sacred Maori burial ground.
The full-day tour concludes with drop-off back at your hotel in the evening.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
All Downtown Central Auckland Hotels only..Ports
- Queens Wharf
- Princess Wharf
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons