Intro to Wellington Bike Tour
The essential introduction to Wellington!
Jump on a bike and our guide will show you around the Wellington Waterfront and introduce you to some fascinating past and present figures who have made Wellington the creative capital it is today. This tour is perfect for those with just a couple of hours to spare or who prefer their riding to be only on cycle paths. This route is only 10km so the riding is easy and the distance is short (if you're after a longer bike ride, check out our Half Day Tour). Our Introduction to Wellington tour is set at an easy pace with plenty of time for questions and taking photos at each of the tour stops. Our tour focuses on six city shaping people and we’ll point out some key Wellington landmarks along the way including the Parliament, Wellington Stadium, Te Papa Museum, Cuba St, Oriental Bay, Wellington Railway Station and the historic Wellington Waterfront. We use regular bikes for this tour as it's mostly flat, but you can upgrade to an electric bike.
per adult from
120 to 150 minutes
What's included :
- Group bike tour
- Use of bicycle and helmet
- Local taxes
What's excluded :
- Coffee and/or Tea - During a short break you can buy snacks if you like
- Electric bike not included in standard price (but regular bike is included)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Switched on Bikes, Queens Wharf Beside Fergs Kayaks & Dockside Restaurant, Wellington 6011 New Zealand
This is where our tour starts. You'll have time set up and get used to your bike.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Wellington Waterfront, Wellington New Zealand
We ride down the Wellington Waterfront from our store toward Oriental Bay. The Waterfront is bustling on a sunny day and we ride on shared paths.
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: Wellington Railway Station, Pipitea, Wellington 6011 New Zealand
One of the historic buildings in Wellington
Stop At: Westpac Stadium, Waterloo Quay, Wellington 6140 New Zealand
We'll spin past the outside of Wellington Stadium where the All Blacks play when they're in town
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Te Wharewaka o Pōneke, 2 Taranaki Street, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
This unique and culturally significant building with statue of Kupe outside. We'll introduce you to a little Māori culture and tell of their ancestor's travel to Pōneke (Wellington) and Aotearoa (New Zealand). The Wharewaka houses some beautiful carved waka (canoes).
Duration: 10 minutes
Pass By: Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, 55 Cable St, Wellington 6011 New Zealand
We ride past Te Papa Museum one of New Zealand's top visitor attractions so you know where to find it for after your bike tour.
Stop At: Switched on Bikes, Queens Wharf, Wellington Waterfront, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
Our tours ands where we started at Switched on Bikes.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Oriental Bay, Oriental Parade, Wellington 6001 New Zealand
We ride past the bustling Oriental Bay. On summer days locals will be swimming and sun bathing. If time allows we'll break here and you'll have the opportunity to grab a coffee or ice-cream.
Duration: 15 minutes
Departure Point :Switched on Bikes, Queens Wharf, Wellington Waterfront, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
Departure Time :10:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Riders must be comfortable riding a bicycle (riding is mostly flat and we only use cycle lanes and sometimes busy shared paths)
- Remember sunscreen in summer
- Please dress appropriately- bring an extra layer in case or wind
- Moderate fitness advised- pedalling activates the electric assist
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 21 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.