Lighthouses and Lakes Supported Cycle Tour
A scenic cruise across Wellington Harbour, followed by an easy (and usually downwind!) bike expedition around the coast. You'll take in historic places such as the Pencarrow and Baring Head lighthouses, The Porangarahu Lakes and wetland area, Wahine memorial, World War Two bunkers and more, while also gaining fantastic views of the south coast and the Kaikoura Ranges, before finishing your adventure at Turakirae Head and the Wellington region's largest fur seal colony. We'll then shuttle you back to Wellington via Wainuiomata with fantastic views out across the Wellington region. This is an all-inclusive supported daytrip (7.5 hours all up), with all food, equipment, and transport provided, and is suitable for riders of all fitness and ability levels.
per adult from
What's included :
- Ferry pass to Days Bay
- Comfortable and capable mountain bike / electric bike (eBike)
- Helmet and repair kit
- Rear carrier rack and trunk bag for your personal effects
- Packed lunch, water, and snacks
- First Aid kit and GPS tracker in case of emergency
- Transport back to your hotel (or anywhere else) in Wellington afterward
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
What's excluded :
- Excludes on-trail guide - our friendly staff will brief you and answer any questions you may have, but the trail is really easy to follow and full of information stations, so a guide isn't really necessary.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Wellington, Wellington, Greater Wellington, North Island
Take the East by West Ferry from Wellington CBD across the Wellington Harbour to Days Bay (price included)
Duration: 40 minutes
Stop At: Days Bay, Wellington New Zealand
We'll meet you at the wharf in Days Bay, with your bikes, food, maps and info, and give you a briefing on what to expect from your adventure. You can then jump on your bike and start exploring!
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Eastbourne, Eastbourne, Lower Hutt, Greater Wellington, North Island
From Days Bay, you'll head south through the seaside village of Eastbourne, with its many bays and cafes. Check out the Eastbourne Heritage Trail detailing the history of the area and the Wahine disaster, or perhaps take a short bush walk up into the hills above the village with spectacular views and native birdsong.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Pencarrow Lighthouse, Pencarrow Coast Road, Lower Hutt 5013 New Zealand
From Eastbourne, venture out along the coastal trail, passing by surf breaks and popular fishing and diving spots, to Pencarrow Head - home to lakes Kohangapiripiri and Kohangatera (NZ's last relatively unmodified wetland system) and NZ's first lighthouse, with plenty of side trails available if you wish to explore further.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Wainuiomata Coast, Lower Hutt 5373, New Zealand
Carry on past beached shipwrecks to Baring Head, with its World War II bunkers and amazing views of the Kaikoura Ranges, then reach the end of the trail at the Orongorongo Valley, from where you can visit Wellington's largest fur seal colony at Turakirae Head before meeting the 4.30pm shuttle. We'll then drive you back to the ferry terminal at Days Bay, via Wainuiomata with fantastic views out over Wellington Harbour.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :The Boatshed - Days Bay, 612a Marine Drive, Days Bay, Lower Hutt 5013, New Zealand
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Queens Wharf, Wellington Central, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.