Lyttelton Shore Excursion: Twin Harbour Tour (Lyttelton & Akaroa)
A shore excursion highlighting the magnificent scenery of the Banks Peninsula and its twin harbours of Lyttelton & Akaroa. From Lyttelton travel through the harbours inner bays through Gebbies Pass, Lakes Ellesmere & Forsyth and onto the hilltop overlooking Akaroa Harbour. Enjoy a two-hour nature cruise in Akaroa Harbour, with usual sightings of the rare Hector’s Dolphins and other native marine wildlife, followed by an optional lunch at Bully Hayes. In the afternoon, visit a cheese factory and stop on the hills overlooking Christchurch for great views of the city and Canterbury Plains.
per adult from
What's included :
- Lunch - (if option chosen)
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Sightseeing nature cruise
- Air-conditioned vehicle
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This day tour explores the Banks Peninsula and the twin harbours of Lyttelton and Akaroa with numerous photo opportunities of some spectacular scenery throughout including Lakes Forsyth and Ellesmere, the Canterbury Plains, the South Islands Southern Alps and views of Christchurch from the Sign of the Takahe situated on the hills directly above the city.
From Lyttelton, the tour travels around the inner bays of Lyttelton Harbour, Corsair Bay, Cass Bay, Rapaki and Governor’s Bay and then travels over Gebbies Pass and onto the Akaroa Highway for Akaroa, stopping on route at Birdlings Flat, (a shingle beach at the tip of Banks Peninsula, affording great views of this rugged southern coastline) and at the hilltop which enters into Akaroa. The stop at the hilltop affords
a magnificent view and photo opportunity of the entire Akaroa Harbour.
On arrival in Akaroa join Black Cat for a two hour nature cruise on the Akaroa Harbour. This full commentary cruise of this spectacular harbor includes a host of native marine life. You will normally see the rare Hector’s Dolphins, New Zealand Fur Seals and the Little Blue Penguin, as well as a number of native marine birds that populate this coastline. Following the cruise there will be time for lunch (lunch is an optional extra).
Mid-afternoon depart Akaroa and travel through the inner harbour bays of Takamatua, Robinsons Bay, Davauchelle Bay and Barry’s Bay with a stop at the Barry’s Bay Cheese Factory with tastings. The return journey to Lyttelton retraces your travels through the Canterbury Plains and the southern suburbs of Christchurch City to the Sign of the Takahe: a park-like setting on the hills above Christchurch affording wonderful views of the city of Christchurch, the Canterbury Plains and the Southern Alps.
Departing the Sign of the Takahe the tour travels through the Eastern Suburbs of Christchurch City to the Lyttelton Harbour Tunnel, a two-kilometer road tunnel taking you through to the Port of Lyttelton which was severely damaged by an earthquake which effected Christchurch and its infrastructure in 2011. Much of the old port and its original buildings had been demolished following the 2011 earthquake, however, the rebuild is progressing.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offeredPorts
- Lyttelton Port of Christchurch, 41 Chapmans Road, Hillsborough, Christchurch 8022, New Zealand
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Wheelchair accessible
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- Follow the safety guidelines as issued by the New Zealand Government and maintain good hygiene and social distancing measures. Do not travel if you are experiencing cold or flu symptoms. If the city in which you are departing from is in alert level two, then please wear a facemask for all transport.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.