Maori Whakatau Welcome
The Māori Whakataū is a welcome to New Zealand by the indigenous culture of NZ. The Whakataū embraces key aspects of welcoming manuhiri/visitors to New Zealand and making sure you get an authentic connection to the people of this wonderful land and more specifically here in Wanaka and Queenstown. The scenery is one small part of what makes this country so great, to truely connect with any country you must also connect with the people that make the country what it is. Welcome to the world of WanaHaka® in Wanaka and Queenstown.
There is a minimum of 4 required per Whakataū if minimum numbers are not met you will be offered another day or time or complete refund.
per adult from
30 to 50 minutes
What's included :
What's excluded :
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Authentic Māori Bone Carving of your experience
- WanaHaka Tea Towel Souvenir
- In Māori culture we hold two important aspects dear to us. the first being Manaakitanga (Hospitality) and Kaitiakitanga (guardianship of the land) .At WanaHaka® we want you to connect with these 2 important cultural elements.
This Pōwhiri can be done in either Queenstown or Wanaka so please do email first as to your preferred location if required.
You will be greeted by a Wero/Challenge with a Māori Warrior and Taiaha, from here we move through the key elements of the pōwhiri/welcome where we may start as strangers but by the end we end up as whanaua/family.
A truely inspiring cultural experience that combines both the people and the land of Wanaka and Queenstown.
Departure Point :1: #ThatWanakaTree, Roys Bay, 59 Wanaka-Mount Aspiring Road, Wanaka 9305, New Zealand
2: Glendhu Bay Track, Ruby Island Road, Wanaka 9381, New Zealand
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.