Milford Sound Nature Cruise
Immerse yourself in the breathtaking beauty of Milford Sound during an intimate boat cruise led by a specialized Nature Guide. On board a smaller-sized vessel than typical Milford Sound cruises, enjoy indoor and outdoor observation decks that provide fantastic photo opportunities of this famous South Island natural wonder, inside New Zealand's World Heritage–listed Fiordland National Park. Stay on the water longer than most other tours, and get close to the waterfalls and other natural features that give the sound its nickname, the Eighth Wonder of the World. Our vessels are all purpose built for viewing - providing you with unbeatable viewing capabilities from our full height viewing windows and 360º viewing decks.
per adult from
2 hours 15 minutes
What's included :
- Live commentary on board by specialist Nature Guide
- FREE Tea and coffee
- Picnic lunch (if option selected)
- 2+ Hour Nature Cruise
- Entry/Admission - Fiordland National Park (Te Wahipounamu)
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Alcoholic Beverages
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Southern Discoveries - Milford Sound Visitor Centre, Freshwater Basin, Milford Sound Highway 94, Milford Sound 9679, New Zealand
Your journey starts here, check in with friendly staff at least 15 minutes prior to departure.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Fiordland National Park (Te Wahipounamu), Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park New Zealand
Fiordland National Park is in the southwest of New Zealand’s South Island. It’s known for the glacier-carved fiords of Doubtful and Milford sounds. A beech forest trail on the sandy Milford shore offers views of towering Mitre Peak.
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Stop At: Milford Sound, Milford Sound, Southland Region, South Island
Whatever the weather, our newly refurbished vessels offer unbeatable views through full height viewing windows. Make the most of out 360º decks which are perfect for that perfect photo.
Our specialist nature guides share their knowledge with lively and entertaining commentary. This is the perfect cruise for single travelers, couples and families with plenty of room to take in the views - without the crowds.
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Pass By: Mitre Peak, Fiordland National Park New Zealand
Mitre Peak is a beautifully dramatic mountain in the South Island of New Zealand, located on the shore of Milford Sound. It is one of the most photographed mountain peaks in the entire country.
Pass By: Bowen Falls, Fiordland National Park, Milford Sound 9679 New Zealand
The stunning Lady Bowen Falls is Milford’s highest waterfall. It plunges 162m from a hanging valley into the head of Milford Sound and provides electricity for the Milford Sound township by feeding a small hydroelectric scheme, as well as being the water source for the settlement.
Pass By: Sinbad Gully, Southland 9679, New Zealand
Nestled behind the world famous Mitre Peak, the Sinbad Gully is characterised by extremely steep glacially carved walls punctuated by near vertical granite cliffs. These walls slowed pest invasion into the gully and as a result a number of unique native species remain in the Sinbad.
Southern Discoveries is passionate about preserving Milford Sound’s beauty for future generations which is why it’s a key partner in a major conservation project – the Sinbad Sanctuary Project.
The aim is to see the valley of New Zealand’s most photographed mountain (Sinbad Gully is at the base of Mitre Peak) become a sanctuary for native species.
Pass By: Stirling Falls, Milford Sound New Zealand
Milford’s second-highest waterfall is the Stirling Falls, a staggering 151m in height – three times the height of Niagara Falls, but the 1,300m mountain behind displaces this incredible height. This is the famous waterfall that Hugh Jackman ‘jumped off’ in the movie Wolverine. The sheer drop of the Stirling Falls allows boats to get right underneath – it’s an incredible feeling to have the power of 151m worth of glacial water falling so close to you.
Departure Point :Southern Discoveries - Milford Sound Visitor Centre, Freshwater Basin, Milford Sound Highway 94, Milford Sound 9679, New Zealand
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please advise of your country of origin at the time of booking
- Stroller accessible
- Infant seats available
- Car parking in Milford Sound incurs a $10 hourly fee payable only by credit card. There are a limited number of free car parks and a complimentary shuttle service available in the Park & Ride area. We recommend arriving into Milford Sound at least 1-1.5 hours prior to your scheduled cruise departure.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.