Mt Cook Small Group Tour from Queenstown with Optional Activities
Explore the Mt Cook area on this one day, fully guided small group tour from Queenstown with free time to participate in the best activities.
• Mt Cook & Aoraki National Park
• Lake Pukaki
• Kawarau Gorge, Lindis Pass, the Southern Alps
• High Country Salmon
• Free time for activities & walks
While the destinations you will be visiting are truly spectacular, we at Cheeky Kiwi Travel believe it is our small groups, our guides, the journey and the little details that set our tours well apart. Secret stops, wildlife viewings, specially designed vehicles and many other pleasant surprises ensure our tours are an experience to remember.
You also have time to enjoy extra activities of your choice, unlike many other tours. On tours are led by our passionate tour guides, notorious for bringing your journey to life by sharing stories and rich background knowledge and run in modern, comfortable minibuses packed with extras ensuring your comfort and safety.
What's included :
- Small Group and Fully Guided Tour
- Bottled water
- Transport to Hooker Valley Track
What's excluded :
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Food and drinks (unless otherwise specified)
- Optional extras and activities - please select the tour option you want at time of booking
Pass By: Queenstown, Queenstown, Otago Region, South Island
Your tour starts in the stunning city of Queenstown. As we drive out of the city your guide will not only set the scene for your adventurous day but also point out and guide you past some of the areas top highlights.
Pass By: Kawarau Suspension Bridge, Kawarau Bridge, Gibbston New Zealand
Departing Queenstown we then make our way through the stunning Kawarau Gorge passing stunning views, the Kawarau Suspension Bridge and the famous Roaring Meg Lookout. Time and light permitting we will stop for that first great shot of the tour.
Stop At: Cromwell, Cromwell, Central Otago, Otago Region, South Island
Exiting the Kawarau Gorge we enter the fruit and wine growing region of Cromwell. Passing huge fields of vines, we cross Lake Dunstan and follow this beautiful lake towards Lindis Pass.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Lindis Pass, Omarama New Zealand
Pass through Lindis Pass, one of only three alpine roads through the otherwise impassable Southern Alps we stop at the famous lookout.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Omarama Sheep Statue, State Highway 8 and Chains Hill Highway, Omarama New Zealand
While driving through the endless plains of the Mackenzie district we will spot several of the famous Merino breed of sheep before stopping at the quaint township of Omarama. While in Omarama we have time for a break or even to try the best creamy chicken pie in NZ (in our opinion)!
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Lake Pukaki, New Zealand
Turning west we begin to enter the Aoraki National Park and Lake Pukaki begins to emerge in front of us. Lake Pukaki is one of the bluest lakes you will ever see and is stunningly framed by the backdrop of Aoraki/Mt Cook and the Southern Alps. We stop for some amazing photos and to just marvel at the sight that we are beholding. It’s not hard to see why many Lord of the Rings scene were filmed nearby and we will point them out for you.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Aoraki Mount Cook National Park Visitor Centre, 1 Larch Grove, Mt. Cook Village, Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu) 7999 New Zealand
Arriving at Mt Cook Village, weather depending, we should get some amazing shots of the mountain itself. At 3724m, Aoraki/Mt Cook is New Zealand’s highest peak, however, the mountain can be viewed without any acclimatisation whatsoever from the village which is just 750m above sea level.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu), Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu), Mackenzie District, Canterbury Region, South Island
While in the national park you have 4 hours free time to enjoy free walks/hikes or one of the extra optional activities. Some of our recommendations include: The Hooker Valley hike – thought to be one of New Zealand’s most beautiful hikes. Heli Hike - this adventure on the Tasman Glacier is the ultimate way to enjoy the area. Scenic flights – see the region from the air and land on the Tasman Glacier. Whatever you decide to do we will pick you up and drop you off where you need to go and make sure you are well looked after.
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: High Country Salmon, State Highway 8, Twizel 7944 New Zealand
Farewelling Aoraki/Mt Cook Village and making our way back to Queenstown we stop in at High Country Salmon, a local salmon farm, where you can feed the fish and taste some of the freshest salmon in New Zealand.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Mrs Jones Fruit Orchard, 489 Kawarau Gorge Road, Cromwell 9384 New Zealand
During summer months when the sun is still up as we get close to Queenstown we often stop at Mrs Jones Suncrest Orchard to try or buy her fabulous and delicious local fruit and pies.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Queenstown, Queenstown, Otago Region, South Island
Sadly the tour must come to an end as we re-enter Queenstown and say our goodbyes.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :The Station - Home of Adventure in Queenstown, Corner of Shotover & Camp Streets, 25 Shotover Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
Hotel Pick Up Points & Times:Please be ready waiting in your hotel lobby or at the pick up point at least 10 minutes prior to your pick up time below. If your hotel is not listed below, please contact us in advance to be picked up from your nearest location in the list below. 15 mins before tour start time: Kamana Lakehouse, Heritage Hotel, Mercure Hotel10 mins before tour start time: Crowne Plaza, Hotel St Moritz, Rydges Lakeland Resort5 mins before tour start time: Novotel Queenstown Lakeside, Tahuna Pod Hostel, YHA Central, Nomads Backpackers, Queenstown Central Pick Up Point (47-49 Shotover Street, Queenstown)At tour start time: Scenic Hotel, Copthorne Hotel, Heartland Hotel, Millennium Hotel, Oaks Shores Resort, The Rees Hotel10 - 20 mins after tour start time: Frankton Bus Station (near Queenstown airport), Wyndham Garden Hotel15 - 25 mins after tour start time: Hilton Hotel & Resort45 minutes after tour start time: Cromwell I-Site, 2 The Mall, CromwellPorts
- Frankton Bus Terminal
- Queenstown Central - Shotover Building
- Cromwell iSite - 2 The Mall, Cromwell
Departure Time :6:45 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A moderate amount of walking is involved.
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- Children aged 7 years and below are required to travel in a child safety car seat. If you don't have a car seat one can be provided (with 24 hours’ notice).
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons