Mt Ruapehu Crater Lake Guided Walk
For those who like a manageable challenge, try a guided walk to the top of Mt Ruapehu, the largest of the three volcanoes in Tongariro National Park. The walk begins at the Whakapapa Ski area at the top of the Bruce Road on Mt. Ruapehu. Enjoy lunch (included until 31 March 2021, purchase as additional from 01 April 2021 onward).
on top of the North Island highest volcano from where you can gaze down into the geothermal waters of the crater lake. Please note this is not a track and is less stable walking than on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
Our guides are personable, friendly, qualified and ready to guide you. Adrift provides instruction, transport, equipment and gear hire. We guide every day and guarantee trip departures with wind, rain, snow and even shine.
What's included :
- Professional and qualified guide/s.
- All mountain equipment required (including crampons and ice axes during winter)
- Footwear and clothing to supplement up to a NZD40 free allowance.
- Lunch until 31 March 2021, purchase as additional from 01 April 2021 onward
- Live tour commentary provided in English.
- Transport between the Adrift Tongariro base (53 Carroll St, National Park Village) and the activity.
What's excluded :
- Beverages, bottled water, or snacks
- Transport between accommodation and Adrift Tongariro base
- Lunch - from 01 April 2021 onwards
Stop At: Adrift Tongariro, 53 Carroll Street Tongariro National Park, National Park Village 3948 New Zealand
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Mt Ruapehu, Tongariro National Park New Zealand
A great mountain hiking experience
Duration: 8 hours
Departure Point :53 Carroll Street, National Park 3989, New Zealand
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people is required for this tour to operate. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Minimum age is 10 years
- Transfers from Taupo, Turangi, Ohakune and Whakapapa Village are available on request for an additional charge. All transfers require a minimum of 2 people. We do not offer Ohakune transfers in winter.
- Please note this is not a track and is less stable walking than on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
- The terrain is uneven and steep in places. It is possible to take the walk as far as Knoll Ridge Cafe if you are concerned about your fitness.
- During winter and times of snow, surface conditions will vary from day to day. Crampons and ices axes are required and your guide will provide instruction on how to use them correctly.
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Walking distance is 10 kms return or 7 kms return when the chairlift is utilised. Walking time is about 6-7 hours. This walk requires a good level of fitness.
- Summer Gear List: Water (1-2 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots/shoes, walking trousers, 1 light top and 2 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat.
- Winter Gear List: Water (1-1.5 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots, thermal longs and/or walking trousers & over-trousers, 3 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat, Warm hat and gloves.
- It is essential all clients phone the Adrift Tongariro base between 10:00am - 5:00pm the day prior to trip date to confirm tour departure time and discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.
- All transfers meet at the Adrift base the morning of the tour where our guides will check everyone in, go over the days trip conditions and assess and provide the required equipment, and additional clothing and boots if needed.
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- Tour starts and finishes at the Adrift Tongariro Base. Transport between the Adrift Tongariro base (53 Carroll St, National Park Village)
- If you have back, neck, lower back, joint, or muscular problems, you should carefully consider whether to participate. You should have good circulation and healthy, unblocked breathing.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 60 travelers