Why Choose Flying Kiwi...?
1. MORE EXPERIENCE = BETTER TRAVEL OPTIONS...
Flying Kiwi is the original New Zealand tour company. We are the experts with 30 years' experience in conducting tours of the highest quality and thousands of very, very satisfied customers. You can be guaranteed that our team will provide a professional and enjoyable experience of a lifetime.
2. MORE PEACE OF MIND WITH GUARANTEED DEPARTURES...
Once you are booked you are going! ALL our summer tours (Oct-Apr) are guaranteed departures. This gives you complete peace of mind and enables you to plan and look forward to your trip - trips do fill fast though so get in quick.
3. MORE NATIONAL PARKS....
We have a license with the Department of Conservation that enables us to visit, and stay in, places other tours can't access. We ensure our tours give you time to experience New Zealand's best national parks too, including Paparoa, Abel Tasman, Aoraki/Mount Cook, Tongariro and Fiordland.
4. MORE CHANCES TO GENUINELY GET OFF THE BEATEN TRACK...
There are a number of World famous highlights on any trip to New Zealand - Milford Sound, Queentown, Rotorua to name a few and we make sure to experience the best these spots have to offer. However, what makes our trips totally unique is exploring the lesser known spots that other tour groups don't visit. Whether it's a secret glow-worm walk at night, a lush rainforest-fringed pool for a dip, a bike ride along deserted roads hugging the coast or a local cafe that serves quite possibly the best muffins in New Zealand we have found the best secret spots - we know you will love them just try not to tell too many others!
5. MORE ACCOMMODATION BY LAKES, MOUNTAINS AND OCEANS...
Rather than wake up in a hostel dorm we wake up to amazing views, fresh air and away from the crowds. By staying in these carefully selected sites you get to experience amazing sunrises, spectacular sunsets, campfires, sleeping to the sound of the ocean, morning dips, lakeside dining to name a few. There are camping and cabin accommodation options (so something for everyone).
6. MORE TASTY AND HEALTHY MEALS...
Our trips involve a great deal of activity and we appreciate the importance of good food. We usually offer breakfast, lunch and dinner which saves you time and money. With an average meal out in NZ costing around $30 you'll save a fortune compared to other tour companies.
7. MORE CYCLE OPTIONS...
With bikes on board you have the chance to cycle as much, or as little, as you want. We cover a huge range of rides along the coast, by lakes, through mountain landscapes, downhill, uphill and even across hill - there is something for everyone and every fitness level.
8. MORE HIKES AND ACTIVITY OPTIONS (+LOADS OF FREE STUFF)...
We offer more hikes and activity options than any other tour company. That gives you more choice every day to try the hikes you fancy and the activities you have always wanted to try. Everything is optional and there are always free alternatives. We also include a number of the activities free of charge such as hot pools, Wai-O-Tapu thermals and more.
9. MORE FLEXIBILITY...
Our tours are designed to fit around you. We aren't a traditional tour - you choose the activities you want to do, you choose the style of accommodation you want and you can even take extended breaks along the way - Flying Kiwi is the perfect combination of independent travel and touring convenience.
10. MORE VALUE FOR MONEY...
Quite simply our trips are unbeatable. With transport, accommodation, most meals and use of sports equipment included you won't find a better value tour. Our tours add up to around $160 NZD per day which is a great measure to compare with other options (don't forget a meal out in NZ averages around $30 for starters and bike hire starts at approx. $35 per day).
11. FREE HIGHLIGHTS...
Some operators may list these as free activities specific to their tour but as Kiwis are such a generous bunch all those listed below are free for everyone!
Tongariro Crossing (bus transfer not included), glow worm walks, Te Papa museum, Wellington Botanical Gardens, heaps of free hikes, Kauri forest walks, Huka Falls, dig your own thermal pool on Hot Water beach (we provide the spades!) and more.
12. PLACES WE VISIT ARE...
- Stunning Bay of Islands
- Golden beaches of Coromandel
- Thermal mud pools of Rotorua
- Real Lord of the Rings country
- Cultural and historical treasures
- New Zealand’s World Heritage Sites
- The nation's capital - Wellington
- Numerous remote locations that other tours and tourists don't reach
13. OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES TO CHOOSE FROM...
- Superb cycle rides (for all levels)
- Excellent hikes (for all levels)
- Sea kayaking
- Hobbiton Movie Set tour
- Maori Culture
- Hot pools
- Zipline tours
- Bungy jumping & giant swings
- White water rafting
5 days, 4 nights
- Tasty meals - 4 x Breakfasts, 2 x Lunches, 3 x Dinners
- Bus/Coach Transport
- Shared tent accommodation, 2 people per tent
- Inflatable camping mattress
- Use of sports equipment on board (bodyboards, cricket sets and more)
- Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland - NZ's most colorful geothermal attraction
- Tongariro Crossing (bus transfer not included)
- Amazing sunrises and sunsets at beautiful beach side campsites
- 2 friendly & knowledgeable Flying Kiwi guides
This tour is recommended for persons 18 years and older however requests for younger participants will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Day 1 : AUCKLAND - HOT WATER BEACHLeaving Auckland at 10am we head to the Coromandel, renowned worldwide for its natural beauty, misty rainforests and pristine white, sandy beaches. The peninsula is home to some of the most impressive coastlines in the country. Enjoy a stunning walk from Hahei beach to Cathedral cove, where you will find an iconic limestone archway that sits right down at the beach. Take the coastal walkway or take in the coastline from the water while on one the best guided sea kayak trips in New Zealand. We then travel a short distance to camp at Hot Water Beach. This beautiful beach offers a unique experience as geothermal water reservoirs under the ground bring hot water to the surface at low tide allowing you to dig your very own hot pool in the sand.Meals :DinnerDay 2 : HOT WATER BEACH - ROTORUAThis morning is filled with activity as we make our way to the thermal wonderland of Rotorua. Learn about the mining history of the area we stop at the historic town of Waihi where will take a short break to view Martha’s mine, a gold and silver mine that is still in operation today. From there we travel through the Karangahake Gorge taking in the views and the remnants of its historic mining past. You can explore this area by foot or pedal and we will all meet in the heart of the gorge for a delicious picnic lunch. After this action packed morning we start making our way towards Rotorua, the oldest and most established thermal resort in the country. On route we drop those visiting Hobbiton in Matamata around 1.30pm and continue on to Rotorua. Known as “Sulphur city”, Rotorua has a lot of Geothermal activity and soon after arriving you’ll notice something a little bit different, a smell of sulphur and a number of steaming vents and mud pools across the city. This is the cultural and geological heart of the North Island and the perfect place to experience and learn about Maori culture and the dramatic natural thermals. We’d highly recommend a dip in the soothing pools of the Polynesian spa to relax and unwind! You can also try a range of activities, like zip lining, OGO and the luge or go biking in the Whakarewarewa forest and finish up the day with a Maori cultural experience, there really is something for everyone!Meals :Breakfast, LunchDay 3 : ROTORUA - TURANGIEnjoy a relaxed start to the day before we check out the geysers & mud pools at Wai-O-Tapu (included free with your trip). We first visit the Lady Knox Geyser before exploring one of New Zealand’s most extensive geothermal networks that have created a unique landscape with colourful sulphur lakes and diverse volcanic vistas. We take time to explore Huka Falls where over 220,000 litres of water gets forced through a narrow canyon and spills out dramatically at the end every second. The falls are part of the mighty Waikato River, New Zealand’s longest river which flows down from Lake Taupo, Australasia’s largest lake. After viewing the falls take a scenic walk along the river and take a quick dip in a natural hot water stream on your way into Taupo city where you’ll have some time to explore and check out the views across the lake. The city of Taupo is considered the North Island's adrenalin capital so there's no shortage of activity options. Test your fear of heights on the giant swing, bungy or skydiving. The scenery we pass through today includes the largest man made forest in the Southern Hemisphere - the Kaingaroa forest, a crossing of the Waikato River and a beautiful drive around the edge of Lake Taupo on our way into camp in Turangi.Meals :Breakfast, DinnerDay 4 : TURANGI - PAEKAKARIKIToday you have the chance to experience the Tongariro Alpine Crossing - considered NZ's best day hike, offering a remarkable journey across volcanic landscapes. Lava flows, emerald-coloured lakes, magnificent views and steaming vents combine to make this an unforgettable hike. The 80,000 hectare Tongariro National Park is a Dual World Heritage Area, with its centrepiece Mount Ruapehu rising dramatically 2797m from the surrounding area is the North Islands highest peak. Next to Mt. Ruapehu are two smaller volcanic mountains - Mount Ngauruhoe (Mount Doom from Lord of the Rings) and Mount Tongariro, you will be walking in between these two giants as part of the crossing. For those who aren't keen on hiking you can enjoy short local walks or cycle the Tongariro river track. There is also the option to go White Water Rafting, on grade 3 rapids. After the hike we make our way south and stay on the Kapiti coast in a quiet little place called PaekakarikiMeals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 5 : PAEKAKARIKI - WELLINGTONThis tour ends in Wellington with an early arrival at New Zealand’s beautiful capital city by 9am. Our nation’s capital offers great cafes and bars, along with plenty to see and do including the celebrated Te Papa Museum & the botanical gardens.Meals :Breakfast
Auckland pickup: 10am outside the Grand Millennium Hotel, 106 -110 Vincent Street, Central Auckland (opposite the Auckland City Police Station).
2020 TOUR DEPARTURE DATES:
November: 15, 24
December: 3, 12, 21, 30
2021 TOUR DEPARTURE DATES:
January: 8, 17, 26
February: 4, 13, 22
March: 3, 12, 21, 30
Optional hires: You can hire any of the following equipment from us for the duration of your trip or bring your own gear. We charge a small handling fee for those who bring their own bikes but there are no charges for your own tent etc.
$125 Cycle hire for entire trip
$70 Bring your own bike
$85 Single tent upgrade
$60 Sleeping bag hire
Cabin upgrades (optional): Are available most nights for a small fee, payable on the day (subject to availability). During the peak travel months of Dec, Jan, Feb we recommend pre-booking upgrades prior to travel through the Flying Kiwi office. Pre-booking upgrades incur a 10% pre-booking service fee of the total upgrade cost.
Optional Activities: Most days there are a selection of optional activities you can choose to do (i.e. skydiving, heli hiking etc). Payment for optional activities are made direct to the operator on the day.
Tour extensions: If you have a few days after your trip why not extend it with one of these great trips:
Summer Blast Tour - Explore the four corners of the Mainland on this complete South Island round trip. From the golden beaches of Abel Tasman to the blue ice of Fox Glacier you will get to immerse yourself and experience some of the finest natural wonders in the World. Most popular start locations are: Picton or Christchurch.
Southern Light Tour - If you dont have time for a full South Island tour but are keen to revel in a brilliant action packed adventure then check this one out. Starting in either Picton or Christchurch we enjoy the highlights of the South and wrap things up in the adrenalin capital - Queenstown!