Why Choose Flying Kiwi...?
1. MORE EXPERIENCE = BETTER TRAVEL OPTIONS...
Flying Kiwi is the original New Zealand tour company. We are the experts with 30 years' experience in conducting tours of the highest quality and thousands of very, very satisfied customers. You can be guaranteed that our team will provide a professional and enjoyable experience of a lifetime.
2. MORE NATIONAL PARKS....
We have a license with the Department of Conservation that enables us to visit, and stay in, places other tours can't access. We ensure our tours give you time to experience New Zealand's best national parks too, including Paparoa, Abel Tasman, Aoraki/Mount Cook, Tongariro and Fiordland.
3. MORE CHANCES TO GENUINELY GET OFF THE BEATEN TRACK...
There are a number of World famous highlights on any trip to New Zealand - Milford Sound, Queentown, Rotorua to name a few and we make sure to experience the best these spots have to offer. However, what makes our trips totally unique is exploring the lesser known spots that other tour groups don't visit. Whether it's a secret glow-worm walk at night, a lush rainforest-fringed pool for a dip, a bike ride along deserted roads hugging the coast or a local cafe that serves quite possibly the best muffins in New Zealand we have found the best secret spots - we know you will love them just try not to tell too many others!
4. MORE ACCOMMODATION BY LAKES, MOUNTAINS AND OCEANS...
Rather than wake up in a hostel dorm we wake up to amazing views, fresh air and away from the crowds. By staying in these carefully selected sites you get to experience amazing sunrises, spectacular sunsets, campfires, sleeping to the sound of the ocean, morning dips, lakeside dining to name a few. There are camping and cabin accommodation options (so something for everyone).
5. MORE TASTY AND HEALTHY MEALS...
Our trips involve a great deal of activity and we appreciate the importance of good food. We usually offer breakfast, lunch and dinner which saves you time and money. With an average meal out in NZ costing around $30 you'll save a fortune compared to other tour companies.
6. MORE CYCLE OPTIONS...
With bikes on board you have the chance to cycle as much, or as little, as you want. We cover a huge range of rides along the coast, by lakes, through mountain landscapes, downhill, uphill and even across hill - there is something for everyone and every fitness level.
7. MORE HIKES AND ACTIVITY OPTIONS (+LOADS OF FREE STUFF)...
We offer more hikes and activity options than any other tour company. That gives you more choice every day to try the hikes you fancy and the activities you have always wanted to try. Everything is optional and there are always free alternatives. We also include a number of the activities free of charge such as Wai-O-Tapu geothermal wonderland and much more.
8. MORE FLEXIBILITY...
Our tours are designed to fit around you. We aren't a traditional tour - you choose the activities you want to do, you choose the style of accommodation you want and you can even take extended breaks along the way - Flying Kiwi is the perfect combination of independent travel and touring convenience.
9. MORE VALUE FOR MONEY...
Quite simply our trips are unbeatable. With transport, accommodation, most meals and use of sports equipment included you won't find a better value tour. Our tours add up to around $170 NZD per day which is a great measure to compare with other options (don't forget a meal out in NZ averages around $30 for starters and bike hire starts at approx. $35 per day).
10. FREE HIGHLIGHTS...
Some operators may list these as free activities specific to their tour but as Kiwis are such a generous bunch all those listed below are free for everyone!
Tongariro Crossing (bus transfer not included), glow worm walks, Te Papa museum, Wellington Botanical Gardens, heaps of free hikes, Kauri forest walks, Huka Falls, dig your own thermal pool on Hot Water beach (we provide the spades!), explore the Bay of Islands region and more.
11. PLACES WE VISIT ARE...
- Stunning Bay of Islands
- Golden beaches of Coromandel
- Thermal mud pools of Rotorua
- Cultural and historical treasures
- New Zealand’s World Heritage Sites
- The nation's capital - Wellington
- Numerous remote locations that other tours and tourists don't reach
12. OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES TO CHOOSE FROM...
- Superb cycle rides (for all levels)
- Excellent hikes (for all levels)
- Sea kayaking
- Hobbiton Movie Set tour
- Maori Culture
- Hot pools
- Zipline tours
- Bungy jumping & giant swings
- White water rafting
- Deep sea fishing
- Dolphin swimming
- Sand boarding
8 days, 7 nights
- Tasty meals - 7 x Breakfasts, 2 x Lunches, 6 x Dinners
- Bus/coach transport
- Shared tent accommodation, 2 people per tent
- Inflatable camping mattress
- Numerous free walks
- Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland - NZ's most colourful geothermal attraction
- Tongariro Crossing (bus transfer not included)
- Use of sports equipment (bodyboards, cricket sets and more)
- 2 friendly & knowledgeable Flying Kiwi guides
- Amazing sunrises & sunsets at beautiful beach side campsites
This tour is recommended for persons 18 years and older however requests for younger participants will be considered on a case by case basis.We can cater for most dietary requirements, advise us of any dietary needs at the time of booking.
- Day 1 : AUCKLAND – BAY OF ISLANDSLeaving Auckland at 10am we head to the "winterless north" and the pristine beaches of the Bay of Islands. We stop at the incredible Uretiti beach for a swim and a walk along the sand. Grab a rugby ball and frisbee off the bus and brush up on your passing skills at this picturesque beach spot. On arrival into Paihia, the gateway town to the Bay of Islands, choose from the Mangrove walk or a beautiful cycle to the thundering Haruru waterfall.Meals :DinnerDay 2 : BAY OF ISLANDSExperience a full day exploring the Bay of Islands and its turquoise waters. This subtropical region is the perfect playground for water lovers and a great place to soak up the sunshine. With a staggering 144 islands, the Bay of Islands offers diving, sailing, swimming and fishing along with some excellent walks in the native forests leading to quiet beaches and special views. This region is also home to some of the oldest European settlement in New Zealand and many historic buildings.Meals :Breakfast, DinnerDay 3 : BAY OF ISLANDS - OREWAThere is a day full of adventure ahead as we travel to the rugged and soulful West Coast. Our first stop comes with a chance to try your skills sand boarding or if you don’t fancy heading down the sandy slopes there’s a nice coastal walk. Then it’s back on board as we head south towards the Waipoua Forest, travelling through the largest remaining tract of native kauri forests in northland. We leave the West Coast and cross back over to the East towards our final destination and camp for tonight, Orewa. Home to one of the Auckland regions longest and safest beaches it’s a great place for a stroll and a swim, or relax at the local hot pools.Meals :Breakfast, DinnerDay 4 : OREWA – AUCKLAND – HOT WATER BEACHOrewa is often blessed with a beautiful sunrise over the sea which is well worth the early start to check it out before we make our way to Auckland to pick up those joining us and farewell those leaving us there. We then continue on to the Coromandel, renowned for its natural beauty, misty rain-forests and pristine white, sandy beaches. Marvel at the views on a beautiful coastal walk or take in the coastline from the water by kayak. Visit the unique and famous Hot Water Beach to dig, then relax, in your own thermal pool! Soak up the breath-taking scenery and cameras ready for spectacular sunrises at our beach-side camp.Meals :Breakfast, DinnerDay 5 : HOT WATER BEACH - ROTORUAThe morning is filled with activity as we make our way south into the thermal wonderland of Rotorua. On the way, those visiting Hobbiton leave us in Matamata as we continue to the cultural and geological heart of the North Island and the perfect place to experience and learn about Maori culture and the dramatic natural thermals, Rotorua. There is plenty of action to choose from such as Zip Lining, OGO and the Luge or go biking in the Whakarewarewa forest. We recommend finishing your day with a Maori cultural experience at the Tamaki Maori Village, there really is something for everyone!Meals :Breakfast, LunchDay 6 : ROTORUA - TURANGIEnjoy a relaxed start to the day before we check out the geysers & mud pools at Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland (included free). First, we visit the Lady Knox Geyser before exploring one of New Zealand’s most extensive geothermal networks, a unique landscape with colourful sulphur lakes and diverse volcanic vistas. We then take time to explore the impressive Huka Falls before arriving into Taupo, considered the North Island's adrenalin capital. Test your fear of heights on the giant swing, bungy or go skydiving, the scenery is well worth it! We finish the day with a beautiful drive around the edge of Lake Taupo on our way into camp at Turangi.Meals :Breakfast, DinnerDay 7 : TURANGI - PAEKAKARIKIToday you have the chance to experience the Tongariro Alpine Crossing - considered NZ's best day hike, offering a remarkable journey across volcanic landscapes. Lava flows, emerald-coloured lakes, magnificent views and steaming vents combine to make this an unforgettable hike. For those who aren't keen on hiking you can enjoy short local walks or cycle the Tongariro river track. After the hike, we make our way south and stay on the Kapiti coast in a quiet little place called Paekakariki.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 8 : PAEKAKARIKI – WELLINGTONYour tour ends in Wellington with our early arrival at New Zealand’s beautiful capital city by 9am. Our nation’s capital offers great cafes and bars, along with plenty to see and do including the celebrated Te Papa Museum (free) & the botanical gardens.Meals :Breakfast
Auckland pickup: 10am outside the Grand Millennium Hotel, 106 -110 Vincent Street, Central Auckland (opposite the Auckland City Police Station).
2020 TOUR DEPARTURE DATES:
November: 21, 30
December: 9, 18, 27
2021 TOUR DEPARTURE DATES:
January: 5, 14, 23
February: 1, 10, 19, 28
March: 9, 18, 27
Optional hires: You can hire any of the following equipment from us for the duration of your trip or bring your own gear. We charge a small handling fee for those who bring their own bikes but there are no charges for your own tent etc.
$200 Cycle hire for entire trip
$100 Bring your own bike
$105 Single tent upgrade
$ 75 Sleeping bag hire
Cabin upgrades (optional): Are available most nights for a small fee, payable on the day (subject to availability). During the peak travel months of Dec, Jan, Feb we recommend pre-booking upgrades prior to travel through the Flying Kiwi office. Pre-booking upgrades incur a 10% pre-booking service fee of the total upgrade cost.
Optional Activities: Most days there are a selection of optional activities you can choose to do (i.e. skydiving, kayaking etc). Payment for optional activities are made direct to the operator on the day.
Tour extensions: If you have a few days after your trip why not extend it with one of these great trips:
Summer Blast Tour - Explore the four corners of the Mainland on this complete South Island round trip. From the golden beaches of Abel Tasman to the blue ice of Fox Glacier you will get to immerse yourself and experience some of the finest natural wonders in the World.Most popular departure spots are Christchurch and Picton.
Southern Light Tour - If you dont have time for a full South Island tour but are keen to revel in a brilliant action packed adventure then check this one out. Starting in either Picton or Christchurch we enjoy the highlights of the South and wrap things up in the adrenalin capital - Queenstown!