Rotorua and Geothermal Living Maori Village Tour
Visit an authentic Living Maori Village deep in the geothermal region of Rotorua on this full-day excursion including a Hangi Lunch. Tour with a local Maori guide and learn about how the villagers have adapted to the harsh geothermal environment. You tour will also include visits to a working kiwi fruit orchard, the Redwood forest, famous Government Gardens and Rotorua Lake. This is a small group tour with a maximum group size of 16 travelers per booking.
per adult from
What's included :
- Experienced professional guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Maori cultural performance
- FREE HANGI LUNCH
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Whakarewarewa - The Living Maori Village
What's excluded :
- Personal expenses
- Souvenir shopping
- After meeting at the Port of Tauranga, your tour begins with a gentle drive past Mount Maunganui and along the coast showcasing the stunning white sandy beaches. Hear Maori legends and learn why the area was named the Bay of Plenty.
Stopping at a Kiwi fruit orchard, you will have a chance to view the vines and taste the green and gold kiwi fruits and juices. Learn about the significance of the kiwi fruit to the region. Then it’s back on the road as you wind your way through the rolling countryside past the dense pine forest plantations to arrive in Rotorua. Your next stop is the Redwood Forest where you will take a walk among the impressive trees. There are also great examples of the unique Silver Fern of New Zealand.
Upon arrival at Whakawerawera Living Maori Village your friendly local guide will introduce you to their "backyard". You will experience an authentic Living Māori Village where people live using the natural geothermal resources to cook, bathe and heat their homes on a daily basis. You'll learn about vibrant Māori Culture and traditions, and watch a greenstone carving demonstration
You'll also view the geothermal wonders of Whakarewarewa Geothermal Valley up close and personal, including the world famous Pohutu geyser, boiling mud-pools, steam vents and bubbling pools. You'll see a cooking demonstration and watch as residents prepare Hangi meals in in-ground steam boxes and cook corn in the bubbling water of geothermal hot pools. You'll take in the various historical landmarks and buildings, including an active Marae, the WWII Memorial Archway, two historic churches, and tapu (sacred) burial grounds and you'll enjoy a cultural performance with traditional song and dance, and experience the fearsome Haka, with bulging eyes and beating chests, made famous by NZ Sporting teams.
Your tour also includes a FREE HANGI LUNCH!
Following your time at the village and Hangi lunch, you'll take a Rotorua city highlights tour through the famous Government Gardens. The impressive Elizabethan style building dominating the grounds has gone from being a health spa facility to now housing the Rotorua museum. Your guide will point out some of the features of the gardens, including the Blue Baths and Rachels Spring, and you'll stop for photos among the impressive flowerbeds.
Your tour will end with drop-off back at the Port.
Departure Point :1 The Mall, Bay of Plenty 3116, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
The meeting point for passengers off the cruise ships is on the grass by the flag poll just outside the port pedestrian exit gate on Salisbury Avenue. If you are not travelling on a cruise ship then this is still the meeting point unless you have made an alternative arrangement with us.Ports
- Tauranga New Zealand
Departure Time :9:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- You must provide your own infant/child seat if required
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately. We suggest layers with hats and sunscreen
- Tour departure time may change due to early and/or late ship arrivals and departures. You will be notified at time of booking Please check your emails to confirm tour departure times.
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.