Shore Excursion: The Ultimate Hobbiton and Lord of the Rings Movie Set Tour
This wonderful tour to Hobbiton, a scenic drive from Tauranga, takes us to the farm selected by Peter Jackson as a setting for his Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movie masterpieces. A guided tour will bring to life scenes from the movies, plus time to soak in the atmosphere at the Green Dragon Inn.
per adult from
5 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Experienced, professional and friendly driver/guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- A tankard of Hobbit ale or cider at the Green Dragon Pub (non-alcoholic option available)
- Air conditioned transport
- Entry/Admission - Hobbiton Movie Set
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hobbiton Movie Set, 501 Buckland Road Matamata, Hinuera 3472 New Zealand
Escape into the enchanting world of JRR Tolkein’s imagination – on a trip to the Hobbiton Movie Set and farm.
Intricately recreated after being used as a film set for both the Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, this tour will take you to another world set deep in New Zealand farming countryside.
Whether you have read the books, seen the movies, or neither at all - this is one day you won’t forget.
Our expert guide will set the scene as we leave the Bay of Plenty region and climb over the Kaimai Ranges. Admire the amazing scenery before arriving at 'The Shire's Rest' visitors centre where your Hobbiton experience begins.
• Explore 44 Hobbit holes set across 12 acres of lush pasture and manicured gardens. You can even get pop inside a doorway for a souvenir photo.
• Learn inside tips from your specialist guide and get wrapped up in the fascinating stories they tell.
• Make a visit to Bag End, the Party Tree, Gandalf’s Cutting, The Mill House and more. For you movie buffs there are recognisable landmarks at every turn!
• Cap off your tour with a complimentary ale, cider or ginger beer in the Green Dragon Inn…where you can sit by the fire, admire the expert craftsmanship and imagine life as a hobbit!
This tour is provided by Tauranga's best Shore Excursion team. Also included on the itinerary is a stop at a local honey shop (with FREE tastings of fresh NZ honey and FREE honey ice cream), and a visit to a kiwifruit orchard to see how this quintessential New Zealand icon is grown.
Our team has been delivering world-class Shore Excursions for over 16 years. It all started with owner Ian - one man and a beloved Rolls Royce car. Today, the number of vehicles and tours has changed, but the philosophy hasn’t – every customer is treated like one of the family, and we will make sure you have an unforgettable day. We have over 100 years combined tour guiding experience so you know you are in capable hands (and if you’re lucky you may even get to travel with Ian – he still loves to get behind the wheel!).
Travel in a modern, air conditioned vehicle with a passionate local as your host. We specialise in smaller groups to allow an intimate and personalised experience. Every tour is guided and commentated from start to finish - our guides delight in showing off our little corner of the world. And, we guarantee to have you back to the ship on time!
Duration: 5 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please meet the Shore Trips and Tours representative at the Shore Trips and Tours sign board situated just outside the port gates. Walk through the information marquee and out through the gates - a short walk from your ship.Ports
- Port of Tauranga Ltd, 2 Salisbury Avenue, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga 3116, New Zealand
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Hobbiton is open to the elements, and tours operate in all weather conditions (sun protection is recommended). Umbrellas are available for rain and shine.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved. Due to uneven surfaces and some steep inclines this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Please check with us before booking if you are unsure if the tour will be suitable.
- The vehicle size is usually 24-35 seats (smaller than the cruise lines), although smaller minivans are often used. Having 24-34 customers allows us to (usually) book a tour guide at Hobbiton just for us! This avoids the masses on the public tours that other companies use.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- This tour runs with a minimum of 4 fare paying passengers. We will advise on the day if the minimum hasn't been met, and offer alternative options if necessary
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Please purchase a ticket for all travelers in your group - including 'purchasing' a ticket for all infants. NZ transport law requires us to count all heads on board. One child or infant max per adult ticket.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 35 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.