Small-Group Tour from Rotorua to Auckland via Hobbiton Movie Set
Travel the short distance from Rotorua to Matamata, home of Hobbiton Movie Set.
Upon arriving at Hobbiton, meet your guide who takes you through this working sheep farm, a prime filming location for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings movie series with incredible views overlooking the world’s biggest outdoor movie set.
Your tour group is smaller than the public tours with this tour option!
Fans will love exploring the Shire, home to hobbit holes including Bilbo Baggins’s house. Stop for photos in front of the Mill, the party tree and the double-arch bridge as you’re entertained with tales about the making of the films. Then head to the Green Dragon Inn for a complimentary cider, ale or ginger beer.
After your tour of Hobbiton, enjoy an included lunch at The Green Dragon marquee before your day trip ends with drop-off at your hotel in Auckland.
per adult from
7 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pick up from selected inner city Rotorua accomodation
- Hobbiton Movie Set entry and tour
- Drink inside the Green Dragon Inn
- NZ$10 Shopping voucher to be used in the Hobbiton Gift Shop
- Lunch at Shires Rest Cafe (the buffet is currently unavailable)
- Local guide
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Drop off at inner city Auckland accommodation
- Entry/Admission - Hobbiton Movie Set
- Entry/Admission - The Green Dragon Inn
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hobbiton Movie Set, 501 Buckland Road Matamata, Hinuera 3472 New Zealand
This trip from Rotorua to Auckland includes the Hobbiton movie set tour. Departing from Rotorua at 8am, this is a wonderful way to get to Auckland and include a magical journey through Middle-earth to the Hobbiton Movie Set from “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” films.
On arrival at Shire’s Rest you embark on your Hobbiton movie set tour. This location is the largest “green set” in the world and the only part of the set remaining in New Zealand. You see 44 hobbit holes, the Mill and double arch bridge and the party tree. At this stunning location you can take a photo at the gate to Bilbo’s house, “Bag End”, looking out over the whole set to the hills in the distance..
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: The Green Dragon Inn, Hobbiton Movie Set, Matamata 3472, New Zealand
The tour concludes with a visit to the Green Dragon Inn where you can enjoy a complimentary ale, cider or ginger beer.
Following the Hobbiton tour, enjoy the sumptuous buffet lunch in the Party Marquee which is fit for a Hobbit.
After lunch we drive north through lush Waikato dairy farms and over the Bombay Hills before arriving in Auckland at approximately 3.15pm. You will be transferred to your Auckland inner-city accommodation.
Pass By: Auckland, New Zealand
This tour finishes in Auckland and is a one way product.
Departure Point :1231-1235 Fenton Street, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up from selected inner city Rotorua accommodation included - please advise where you are staying and we can give you directions to the central meeting point or a pick up time.
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :90 Federal Street, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.