Tauranga Port Shore Excursion: Hobbiton Movie Set Tour
Take a journey of discovery and experience the real Middle earth at the Hobbiton Movie Set, where, in the heart of the Waikato region, you can step into the lush pastures of the Shire, as seen in
The Lord of the Rings and
The Hobbit trilogies. The Hobbiton Movie Set is a wonderful opportunity to see the original location, which was rebuilt for the latest hobbit films
An Unexpected Journey and the original setting for Peter Jackson’s famous film trilogy
The Lord of the Rings.
There is time for lunch at the Green Dragon Pub and a little souvenir shopping.
This small-group tour is approximately 6.5 hours, leaving and returning from Tauranga Port.
per adult from
6 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Driver/Tour escort/host
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Transport by modern air-conditioned vehicle
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Complementary drink in the Green Dragon Pub
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Entry/Admission - Hobbiton Movie Set
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Tauranga, Tauranga, Bay of Plenty Region, North Island
Typically starting from Tauranga Port you will begin your journey along Pilot Bay and proceed along the wonderful Mount Maunganui beach. With an exceptional view of Mauao ‘The Mountain’ you will be given the opportunity to take some photo’s and hear some local facts along the way.
You will then commence your comfortable journey to The Shire home of Bilbo Baggins and friends. At Hobbiton you shall be treated to a guided tour of the movie set with lots of fun facts, insider stories and of course many great photo opportunities. Once your tour of the Shire is complete you will be able to sit back and enjoy a drink at the Green Dragon Inn prior to be returned to the gift shop.
On your return to Tauranga there are a few special spots we would like to show you. Given a clear day the view is breathtaking as you glance over the Matamata-Piako Plains.
Our local park is a picture of beauty with its lake, paddocks, mature trees and the wonderful wildlife that dwell within its boundaries.
This tour generally consists of the following (dependent on daylight and cruise ship times):
- Discover Mt Maunganui
- Mossops Honey Shop
- Spectacular view of Matamata/Piako Plains
- McLaren Falls Park
- Hobbiton Guided Tour
Duration: 6 hours
Stop At: Hobbiton Movie Set, 501 Buckland Road Matamata, Hinuera 3472 New Zealand
You will have an official guide to show you around the Hobbit holes including Bilbo's and Frodo's home.
Wonder around the vegetable patches were Hobbits grow there food! with giant pumpkins laying around! and learn about the movie secrets and the attention to detail that is truly mind-boggling.
Your guide tells you how in Tolkien's books, there is a reference to hobbits sitting under plum trees, and how in New Zealand, plum trees grow too big to be the right scale for a hobbit so Peter Jackson had apple and pear trees, stripped of their fruit and replaced them with fake plums.
As for the oak tree on the hill? Also fake, with 376,000 artificial leaves imported from Taiwan and wired onto the tree. When the leaves faded in the sun, someone was employed to repaint them, one by one!
Walk past the Mill and the famous Party Tree that were created for The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit films.
At the end of the tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set, you will finish your exploration of the movie set with a visit to the famous Green Dragon Inn.
The inn has been fully reconstructed, both inside and out, to give you the opportunity to enjoy the pub in all its splendour.
Indulge in a complimentary beverage from the Hobbit Southfarthing range, which encompasses two traditional ales, an apple cider or non-alcoholic ginger beer, all handcrafted and exclusive to the Hobbiton Movie Set. You also have a delicious range of traditional fayre available for purchase for lunch. Whether you choose to enjoy these in a comfortable armchair by the roaring fire, or in the Beer Garden, overlooking the enchanting village, the Green Dragon Inn promises to be a trip to the pub you will never forget.
There will be a complimentary drink waiting for you to enjoy in the Green Dragon Inn (Alcohol and non alcohol available).
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Port of Tauranga Ltd, 2 Salisbury Avenue, Mount Maunganui 3116, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
Please walk along the wharf (there is only one way to walk) Go through the Port gates, where you will see a representative with a name board with " NEW ZEALAND DISCOVERY TOURS" & your name on It!Please allow time for boarding your vehicle! As the tour leaves at the allocated time!Ports
- Port of Tauranga Ltd, 2 Salisbury Avenue, Mount Maunganui 3116, New Zealand
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This Is a Pre Booked Tour only!
- No sales on the day of the tour!
- Ensuring a quick departure for you!
- All vehicles with duel air-conditioning uv protection glass and meeting the highest safety standards.
- Near public transportation
- 9:00am is the regular tour time, This can be adjusted for late/early arrival ships, Please request upon booking!
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.