Tauranga Shore Excursion: Hobbiton Movie Set Tour
Join us on a journey of discovery and experience the real Middle earth at the Hobbiton Movie Set, where, in the heart of the Waikato region, you can step into the lush pastures of the Shire, as seen in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies.
The Hobbiton Movie Set is a wonderful opportunity to see the original location, which was rebuilt for the latest hobbit films "An Unexpected Journey" This was the original setting for Peter Jackson’s famous film trilogy “ The Lord of the Rings” This tour is approximately 5-6 hrs with time for lunch! leaving and returning from Tauranga and so can be ideal for clients from cruise ships wanting a quick tour, You will learn all about how this location was chosen as the Hobbiton Movie Set (which is a great story in itself!) and how the Hobbiton Movie Set was made, plus which scenes were filmed here.
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Hotel/port pickup and drop-off
- Free Beverage Ale (beer) or Ginger Beer in the Green Dragon
- GST (goods and service tax)
What's excluded :
- You will have an official guide to show you around the Hobbit holes including Bilbo's and Frodo's home.
Wonder around the vegetable patches were Hobbits grow there food! with giant pumpkins laying around! and learn about the movie secrets and the attention to detail that is truly mind-boggling.
Your guide tells us how in Tolkien's books, there is a reference to hobbits sitting under plum trees, and how in New Zealand, plum trees grow too big to be the right scale for a hobbit so Peter Jackson had apple and pear trees, stripped of their fruit and replaced them with fake plums.
As for the oak tree on the hill? Also fake, with 376,000 artificial leaves imported from Taiwan and wired onto the tree. When the leaves faded in the sun, someone was employed to repaint them, one by one!
Walk past the Mill and the famous Party Tree that were created for "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" films. At the end of the tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set,
You will finish your exploration of the movie set with a visit to the famous Green Dragon Inn.
The inn has been fully reconstructed, both inside and out, to give you the opportunity to enjoy the pub in all its splendour.
Indulge in a complimentary beverage from the Hobbit Southfarthing range, which encompasses two traditional ales, an apple cider or non-alcoholic ginger beer, all handcrafted and exclusive to the Hobbiton Movie Set. You also have a delicious range of traditional fayre available for purchase for lunch. Whether you choose to enjoy these in a comfortable armchair by the roaring fire, or in the Beer Garden, overlooking the enchanting village, the Green Dragon Inn promises to be a trip to the pub you will never forget!
There will be a complimentary drink waiting for you to enjoy in the Green Dragon Inn (Alcohol and non alcohol available)
After which we will return you to your Ship in plenty of time and wish you bon voyage!
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Once you disembark your ship, please make your way to the port gates, Please make your way through the port gates! We will be waiting for you on the grass verge with a name board with your name on the board! Please allow time to board your vehicle as the time you have booked is the tour time!Ports
- Port of Tauranga Ltd, 2 Salisbury Avenue, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga 3116, New Zealand
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at the time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- 10:00am is the regular tour time, this may be adjusted to allow for late arrival ships, please request upon booking!
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.