Tauranga Shore Excursion: Rotorua Wai-O-Tapu Plus Te Puia Geothermals
Visit Wai-O-Tapu to see why TripAdvisor says it is "One of the 20 Most SURREAL Places in the World" and why it is considered to be New Zealand's most colorful and diverse geothermal attraction. You will take a leisurely walk to see this unique geothermal landscape sculptured out of volcanic activity over thousands of years and take time to view the world famous Lady Knox Geyser which erupts each day at 10:15am.
After lunch (own cost) you will take a short drive back to Whakarewarewa and visit the Living Maori Village. Here, a Maori guide will take you on a 1-hour guided tour of the village to see bubbling mud pools, the Pohutu Geyser and you will be entertained by a cultural performance of dance and song including the haka.
Then, you will take a drive through Rotorua and show you the city sights before returning to Tauranga.
per adult from
7 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Professional and friendly guide/driver
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Entry to Whakarewarewa Living Maori Village
- Entry to Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland
- Entry/Admission - Te Puia
- Entry/Admission - Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Mt Maunganui Main Beach, Marine Parade, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga New Zealand
Travel past the golden shoreline of New Zealand's most-loved beach as we travel out of Tauranga and towards Rotorua.
Stop At: Okere Falls, Okere Falls, Rotorua District, Bay of Plenty Region, North Island
See the world's highest commercially rafted waterfall at this picturesque bush-clad lookout.
Duration: 10 minutes
Pass By: Lake Rotorua, Rotorua New Zealand
Continuing on we skirt past more stunning lakes - including the North Island's second largest - Rotorua. The lakes we see were formed as part of volcanic eruptions!
Stop At: Te Puia, Hemo Road, Rotorua New Zealand
Rotorua is famous for it's Maori culture and abundant geothermal activity - and thus a visit to Te Puia is a must for anyone wanting the best Rotorua experience. See Pohutu and Prince of Wales Feathers' geysers explode, plus bubbling mud pools, hot springs and more. Enjoy a 45 minute cultural performance (including the famous haka!). Your driver will guide you around this fascinating location where you can also see kiwi birds in a purpose built enclosure, and experience more culture at the arts and crafts school. This is a destination you won't forget!
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland, 201 Waiotapu Loop Road Rd 3, Rotorua 3073 New Zealand
In the afternoon we visit New Zealand's most colourful geothermal attraction - Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland. Here you can see the famous Champagne Pool, plus many other intriguing geothermal features with interesting names such as Devil's Pool and The Artists Palette. The area is also home to New Zealand's largest boiling mud pool, and there is evidence of geothermal activity around every turn.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Government Gardens, Queens Dr 9 Queens Dr, Rotorua New Zealand
On the way back to port we will visit Rotorua's interesting city centre. Here we will be able to get some great photo opportunities including some historic and interesting sights.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Whangapipiro Rachel Pool, Queens Drive Government Gardens, Rotorua 3010 New Zealand
Not far from Government Gardens is Rachel Pool - another one of Rotorua's interesting geothermal features.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Kiwifruit Country, 316 State Highway 33, Paengaroa 3189 New Zealand
On the way home (time permitting) we will stop at Kiwifruit Country. Set in a working kiwifruit orchard, here you can try different varieties of kiwifruit and sample a range of unique products. The area is home to New Zealand's kiwifruit industry, and you will see some of the thousands of hectares of orchards that fill the surrounding district.
Duration: 10 minutes
Departure Point :4 Salisbury Avenue, Bay of Plenty 3116, New Zealand
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This tour requires some walking on well-made but unsealed paths, gentle inclines and some steps
- The tour is not suitable for user of mobility scooters or wheelchairs (unless very small collapsible ones). Folding walkers/frames can be accommodated but passengers must be able to enter a minibus using the standard steps. You must advise us at the time of booking if you are bringing any mobility device - failure to do so may result in you not being able to take the tour.
- Comfortable clothing and flat shoes are recommended
- This tour runs with a minimum of 4 fare paying passengers. We will advise on the day if the minimum hasn't been met, and offer alternative options if necessary
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Please purchase a ticket for all travelers in your group - including 'purchasing' a ticket for all infants. NZ transport law requires us to count all heads on board. One child or infant max per adult ticket.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 3 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.