Tongariro Alpine Crossing Experience - Overnight [2 Day Tour]
Tongariro National Park is New Zealand's oldest national park and a dual World Heritage Site. The Tongariro National Park is rich in both cultural identity and dramatic, awe-inspiring natural scenery. Unique landforms, including the volcanic peaks of Ngauruhoe, Tongariro and Ruapehu ensure the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is considered a world-renowned trek.
The Must-Haves For Your Trek:
Tongariro National Park can be subject to unpredictable weather, and conditions can change quickly. It is important that all walkers carry the essentials for their journey across.
Food and plenty of fluid, especially in the summer months. If you are planning on completing any of the summit tracks, ensure you have additional water supplies.
Waterproof and wind-proof raincoat and trousers
Strong, sturdy boots (you will be trekking over uneven volcanic terrain)
Warm clothing layers:woollen or polypropylene thermals and fleece
Hat and gloves
Sunscreen and sunglasses
First Aid Kit
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Accommodation included: 1 night
- All Fees and Taxes
- Fully guided return transfers from Auckland
- Complimentary pick up and drop off from Auckland CBD
- Complimentary refreshments and water on board
- A local English-speaking tour escort throughout the tour
- Luxurious temperature controlled transportation
- Free Admission at Huka Falls and Lake Taupō
- Entry to 2.5 Hour Māori Rock Carving Cruise
- Admission & Self-Guided Tongariro Alpine Crossing Experience
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing Shuttles (Return Transport)
- Hand-picked accommodation, selected to immerse you in your destination
- Entry/Admission - Maori Rock Carvings
- Entry/Admission - Tongariro Alpine Crossing
What's excluded :
- Breakfast - Breakfast Excluded on Day1
- Lunch - Lunch Excluded on Day1
Day 1: Lake Taupo + Huka Falls
Stop At: Lake Taupo, Lake Terrace, Taupo 3330 New Zealand
Marvel at the breath-taking geothermal scenery, stunning waterfalls and World Heritage-listed forest reserves, as you drive from the south of Auckland located in the centre of New Zealand’s north island lies the largest freshwater lake in Australasia. A land of fire and ice, Lake Taupō, a stunning natural cauldron, is ringed by snow-capped mountains, and surrounded by geothermal ‘hot spots’, such as bubbling mud pools, fumaroles and hot springs.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Huka Falls Rd, Taupo, Hinuera New Zealand
Just in 10 minutes’ drive from Taupō town centre, along a beautiful forest-clad road that passes the world-famous luxury resort, you’ll hear the Huka Falls well before you see them – it’s the sound of nearly a quarter of a million litres of water per second erupting from a natural gorge and thundering 11m into the Waikato river below. This incredible waterfall is the most-visited natural attraction in New Zealand – it’s hard to tear your gaze away from the endless, mesmerising torrent.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Maori Rock Carvings, Lake Taupo, Taupo New Zealand
Step aboard, explore Lake Taupō, and discover its natural beauty and hidden wonders with an eco-friendly cruise with Sail Barbary.
Leave your cares and the shoreline behind and set sail across the crystal-blue waters of Lake Taupō. Investigate the hidden bays and beautiful coastline as you enjoy stunning vistas guarded by majestic mountains, enduring witnesses to Taupō’s volcanic past. Explore the culture, history, and sustainability of the region as you voyage to the Māori Rock Carvings at Mine Bay. We will take you right up close to the 14 metre high face of Ngatoroirangi.
Sit back and relax or jump in and learn to sail. Experience Lake Taupō from a unique perspective.
Free refreshments including tea, coffee, hot chocolate. The Cruise are licensed but you are welcome to bring your own.
In the summer swimming is encouraged.
Duration: 2 hours
No meals included on this day.
Accommodation included: You can find your own accommodation in Tongariro/upgrade your experience to have accommodation included (charges apply)
Day 2: Tongariro Alpine Crossing
Stop At: Tongariro Alpine Crossing, Off State Highway 48 Mangatepopo Valley, Whakapapa Village, Tongariro National Park New Zealand
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is heralded as the best one-day trek in New Zealand and is regarded as among the top ten single-day treks in the world. This is located in Tongariro National Park - New Zealand's oldest national park and a dual World Heritage Site, rich in both cultural identity and dramatic, awe-inspiring natural scenery.
Trek across an incredible 19km journey through volcanic alpine landscape of dramatic contrasts you will ever see — cold mountain springs, steaming vents, glacial valleys, ancient lava flows, alpine vegetation, an active crater lake, emerald-coloured lakes, all with stunning magnificent views combine to make this an unforgettable walking journey.
You’ve heard the stories, seen the pictures and now you are on your way to see for yourself. Tongariro Alpine Crossing experience yourself, why they talk about as one of the best one day walks in the world.
Duration: 10 hours
No meals included on this day.
No accommodation included on this day.
Departure Point :Grand Mercure Auckland, 8 Customs Street East, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- Children aged 12 and above are permitted to this experience although they need a reasonable amount of fitness to complete the hike.
- The recommended start age for hikers on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is 10-12 years old.
- While some younger children may be able to complete the hike with no difficulty, others may tire and need to be carried.
- It is extremely difficult to carry a small child safely over the Crossing track as parts are quite rough and uneven.
- The Tongariro Alpine Crossing should not be taken lightly and you must be properly equipped to undertake this walk.
- Children under 7 years of age are not permitted to travel with us due to unstable weather conditions through the year.
- Tongariro National Park can be subject to unpredictable weather, and conditions can change quickly. It is important that all walkers carry the essentials for their journey across.
- Allow 7-8 hours (a full day) for your hike - be prepared for a long and challenging day out
- Strong, sturdy boots footwear (you will be trekking over uneven volcanic terrain)
- Warm clothing layers: lots of layers. woolen or polypropylene thermals and fleece, waterproof clothing, wind-proof raincoat and trousers
- Take plenty of food and drink especially in the summer months
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.