Waipoua Forest: Small Group Guided Maori Eco Day Tour
Footprints Waipoua is 1 of only 2 New Zealand and 82 Global Lonely Planet Code Green Experiences of a Lifetime.Join a friendly local Maori guide for your journey into the rich and ancient ecosystem of Wapioua Forest and you will learn about the indigenous use of plants. Enjoy an intimate encounter with giant kauri trees who have stood silently witnessing the passing of time. Experience the affinity and the deep spiritual respect that Maori have for forests. Let your senses experience what it truly feels like to be insignificant in that moment. Drown yourself in the thought-provoking information, humorous banter, stories and legends and be hauntingly mesmerized by the spine-tingling chants and song. Join the world famous night tour for a spiritual awakening. Seize the memories of these timeless treasures.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off within the Opononi/Omapere area
- Local taxes
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Waipoua Forest, Waipoua Forest, Northland Region, North Island
Join a friendly local Māori guide for your journey to the rich eco-system otherwise known as the Waipoua Forest. This 20,000-acre environment is the largest remaining stand of kauri in New Zealand and home to the oldest and largest known kauri sentinels in the world. The 20-minute journey from Omapere is a chance to be informed, engaged and prepared for an unforgettable encounter with remarkable creations fashioned by Mother Nature.
As we enter the forest you step into a special world; a world of giants that have stood silently witnessing the centuries and the many feats of the human race. Your tour will start with a karakia (prayer) seeking permission from Tāne Mahuta (the Māori God of the Forest) to enter his domain and to ensure that a safe and enjoyable experience is endured. Very quickly it will become obvious that Māori have a very special spiritual connection with the environment.
The easy walking tracks softly wind through an evergreen maze of unique flora. You will enjoy intermittent stops to connect with thought provoking information, stories and legends. You will learn about the indigenous use of plants and be amazed at the life cycle of a kauri giant. The seed to giant process is something that you have to see to believe. As we continue to inch our way down the path we stop for a chance to physically place our hands upon the trunk of a giant. Look up and let your senses experience what it truly feels like to be insignificant in that moment.
We walk for a few more minutes and then suddenly we stand face to face with Te Matua Ngahere (The Father of the Forest). This is the oldest kauri tree in the world and at 3000 years it truly is an extraordinary sight.
Take time to adjust your eyes as you approach the viewing platform. There are very few words that can describe this presence so your guide will acknowledge this entity with a chant and song. Enjoy some silent time before heading back to your vehicle for a very brief drive to Tāne Mahuta. This is a national icon and the largest kauri tree in the world. Ironically the walk to this giant is short. The Lord of the Forest is also greeted by song. Your experience of a lifetime concludes under the branches of this 2000-year-old living sentinel with the telling of the Māori creation story. This tree is said to personify the separation of Sky Father and Mother Earth in order to create life. Unfortunately, it’s time to head back to Omapere but not before a few final words are shared. “We are only said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures”.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Copthorne Hotel and Resort Hokianga, State Highway 12 Omapere, Hokianga 0444, New Zealand
Departure Time :1:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people per tour is required
- Not recommended for children under 5rys of age
- Child rate applies with 2 paying adults
- The meeting point is the Copthorne Resort & Hotel Hokianga.
- Stroller accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.