Waitakere Ranges Guided Walk from Auckland
Veer off the tourist trail to experience Auckland's west coast on a full-day trip to the Waitakere Ranges. Only 40 minutes from the city, you can amble through forests of ancient kauri trees to arrive at a beach covered in black sand, wind-lashed bluffs overlooking the Tasman Sea, and a hidden waterfall on a guided four- to five-hour walk. Along the way, spot New Zealand’s native flora and fauna, dip your toes in the ocean and refuel with a picnic lunch.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Snacks, hot and cold drinks
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entry/Admission - Arataki Visitor Centre - Waitakere Ranges
What's excluded :
- After being picked up from central Auckland, you'll head west, passing through an artsy town called Titirangi, or 'Fringe of Heaven' in Maori.
Otherworldly sights abound once you enter the native rainforest of the Waitakere Ranges. Just 40 minutes from bustling Auckland, this enchanted world feels completely different with its lush vegetation and plunging waterfalls. If the dramatic scenery seems familiar, it's possible you caught a glimpse of it in The Piano, an Oscar-winning film by Jane Campion.
Learn more about the subtropical rainforest and the animals that live there during a visit to the Arataki Visitor Centre. From the visitor center, you can see amazing views that stretch from Auckland's cityscape to the west coast’s Manukau Harbour.
Take your new knowledge west to begin your exhilarating four- to five-hour guided walk. Wind your way through the forest of indigenous silver ferns and red-flowered pohutukawa trees (known overseas as New Zealand Christmas trees). As you go, learn how the plants were used for medicinal purposes by the Maori. Walk under rows of towering kauri trees as you make your way to coastal lookouts for breathtaking views of the Tasman Sea, which separates New Zealand from Australia.
Stop to enjoy a picnic lunch in a secluded bush glade, along a dramatic clifftop clearing, or in a sheltered sandy cove, depending on the weather.
After lunch, continue your walk through the greenery down to the west coast’s most beautiful black-sand beach. Stroll along the shimmering black sand to the soundtrack of a pounding surf. Dip your toes in the wild Tasman Sea if the weather is warm, or keep walking to reach stunning waterfalls.
Rest your feet on the return trip to downtown Auckland, where you will be dropped off.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick-up/drop-off within Auckland’s Downtown area including Cruise wharf Ports
- Level 1, Ports of Auckland Building/1 Sunderland St, Parnell, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking (4-5 hrs) is involved over uneven terrain
- Please dress appropriately depending on weather conditions of the day
- Please bring good walking shoes, sun protection, swimming gear and your camera
- Please note this tour is not bookable for ages under 4 years
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- We meet and exceed all safety measures to keep both our guests and our wonderful team of guides safe. Our safety measures adapt based on requirements to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 4 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.