Waitomo Caves Day Trip, Option to Add Hobbiton ex Taupo
You can design your own ideal day with a full-day tour from Taupo to Waitomo. Choose between Waitomo Glowworm Cave, Ruakuri Cave and or Hobbiton!
At the famous Waitomo Caves Waitomo Glowworm Cave, you will skip the queues and ride a boat beneath thousands of twinkling glowworms in the famous Waitomo Cave
Choose to either have free time in Waitomo and stroll through native forests and the spectacular limestone landscape or visit the nearby Ruakuri cave. The vast Ruakuri Cave features waterfalls and limestone formations.
Feeling adventurous? Join us for a sensational underground Black Water Rafting Adventure, floating down an underground stream on a rubber tube admiring the glowworms above.
Choose to add on Hobbiton Movie Set (2-hour guided tour) and drink at the Green Toad on completion. Finish your day in Taupo.
Please note; If you do not want to join the Hobbiton Movie Set Tour you will have a 2-hour wait at Hobbiton
per adult from
What's included :
- 2 Caves Option Includes Waitomo Glowworm Cave (45 Minute tour) PLUS Ruakuri Caves (2 Hour Tour)
- 2 Hour Hobbiton movie set tour (IF CHOSEN)
- Glowworm Cave Option includes Waitomo Glowworm Caves Only - (45 minute Tour including boat ride)
- Pickup from centrally located meeting point
- Transport by air-conditioned coach or van
- Waitomo activity of choice (The Waitomo Cave option you have selected)
- Entry/Admission - Ruakuri Cave
- Entry/Admission - Waitomo Glowworm Caves
What's excluded :
- Hobbiton (Unless Chosen as an option at check-out)
- Personal expenses
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Taupo, Taupo, Taupo District, Waikato Region, North Island
Your knowledgable driver-guide will meet you at our centrally located pick up point in Taupo. Taupo i-Site Information Centre
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Hobbiton Movie Set, 501 Buckland Road Matamata, Hinuera 3472 New Zealand
This is only included if chosen in your ticket option price.
Head to one of the most famous sites in New Zealand: Hobbiton! Follow an expert guide as they lead you through this expansive and amazing village! We'll see all the great and memorable sites from the Shire, including the Green Dragon Inn and field where Bilbo's birthday party was held! Along the way they'll provide exclusive commentary about the films and set, as well as the interesting characters who've visited the set over the years. They will even help take photos of you besides the miniature homes and gardens.
Finish the tour at The Green Dragon, where you can enjoy a pint of Girdley Fine Grain, Oatbarton, Sackville cider, or Frogmorton Ginger Beer (own expense)!
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Ruakuri Cave, Waitomo Caves 3977 New Zealand
If chosen 2 Cave option your day will include the two-hour Ruakuri Cave (Den of Dogs) and the classic Waitomo Glowworm Caves tour.
The vast Ruakuri Cave features waterfalls and limestone formations. Or enjoy free time exploring Waitomo and stroll through native forests and take in the spectacular limestone landscape.
2 Hours are spent in Ruakuri Cave where you will have the opportunity to take photos
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Waitomo Glowworm Caves, 39 Waitomo Village Road, Waitomo Caves 3943 New Zealand
Here you will experience The Waitomo Cave option you have selected:
Glowworms - Includes Waitomo Glowworm Caves Only with free time to explore in Waitomo and Hobbiton
2 Caves - For this option you will have a 45 minute Waitomo Glowworm Cave Tour and also a 2 Hour Ruakri Cave Tour
Black Labyrinth - For this option you will be given a rubber ring and guided down the Waitomo Glowworm Caves.
Waitomo Glowworm Caves
Here we'll enjoy a tour of amazing natural wonder and meet the thousands of little glowworms that turn these dark caverns into gorgeous turquoise tunnels! These unique creatures are only found in New Zealand and welcome you to explore their subterranean home.
Ride a boat beneath thousands of twinkling glowworms in the famous Waitomo Caves. We'll also have free time here to explore on our own
For passengers adding on Ruakuri, you will take a short journey from Waitomo to Ruakuri. Here you Experience the spectacular spiral entrance to Ruakuri Cave. Marvel at the incredible limestone formations and crystal tapestries in an intimate group.
The original Waitomo black water rafting tour will have you exploring and tubing through the mysterious Ruakuri Cave. Here you will be given a rubber tube, and you will be taken on an unreal underground adventure you will never forget. Float down the underground river in rubber tubes while admiring the glowworm displays above!
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick Up is 6.15 am at Taupo i-Site Information CentreHowever, if you want to be picked up from another central Taupo location, please call or email us with your voucher ready so it can be arranged.
Departure Time :6:15 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Child ages 4-14 years old with price 60% of adult
- Customers doing Black Labyrinth option need to bring swimwear, a towel and a warm change of clothes. Wetsuit and booties are provided.
- Black Labyrinth: Minimum age 12 years old, & minimum weight 45kg
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 22 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.