Wine Tasting at Altitude
Make the most of your trip to Central Otago and fly over the many vineyards of our award winning wine region. Departing from Cromwell the flight, whilst short, explores Bannockburn, then follows Lake Dunstan to the banks of Lowburn before ascending on the Pisa Range, to arrive atop Mount Michael.
From the top is a 360 degree view of the Gibbston Valley, Bannockburn, Lowburn, across the lake to Bendigo and down to Wanaka. From the landing point guests are within a couple of hundred metres of the 45th Parallel – that mysterious line which circles the globe and marks the theoretical halfway point between the equator and the South Pole. The climate is ferocious, to say the least, with extremes of hot and cold. This makes for perfect conditions for growing pinot noir grapes.
The only way to test out those perfect growing conditions is of course to taste the finished product. In the elements each of our three wines will be provided for a tasting along with some seasonal nibbles.
per adult from
What's included :
- Scenic helicopter flight over Cromwell Basin vineyards
- Exclusive alpine landing on Mount Michael (1163m)
- Mount Michael Wine Tasting: Pinot Gris, Pinot Rose, and Pinot Noir
- Seasonal Tasting Platter from The Little Platter Company
- Relaxed natural alpine environment and good company
- Landing and facility fees
- Entry/Admission - Heliview Flights
- Entry/Admission - Mount Michael Wines
What's excluded :
- Additional bottle purchases to take home
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Cromwell, Cromwell, Central Otago, Otago Region, South Island
An aerial appreciation of Cromwell with inflight commentary about its history and horticultural importance.
Stop At: Heliview Flights, 24 Ord Road, Cromwell 9342, New Zealand
This is your starting and end point of the Wine Tasting at Altitude experience.
Duration: 2 hours
Pass By: Central Otago, Central Otago, Otago Region, South Island
Enjoy an aerial appreciation of this world-renowned wine growing region.
Stop At: Mount Michael Wines, Cromwell 3910 New Zealand
Enjoy a private wine tasting of 3 signature Mount Michael wines with a senior member of the Mount Michael Wines team atop Mt Michael, overlooking the Cromwell Basin, Bannockburn and Gibbston subregions.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :24 Ord Road, Cromwell 9384, New Zealand
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- Reasonable degree of mobility as the landing is in a natural alpine environment.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.